Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, October 1, 2018

A few hours to myself!

I really needed some time away from Rocky and was so happy when Jeannie suggested we go to Costco, Target, etc., while Donald and a friend of his took their children and  Rocky to the park to play.  I love the little guy but sometimes I just need a break.

Tonight is the 3rd of 6 sessions in the puppy training class.  So far I haven't been impressed at all.  I think this evening is going to be about either barking or jumping, but I'm not looking forward to it being any more productive than the previous two classes.  I will say that Rocky is doing better on our walks but it is no doubt just his getting a little more used to it.  When we meet someone, especially men who seems to want him to jump up on them, then it all goes to hell in a handbasket (saying, courtesy of my mother-in-law).   These wonderful guys just want to play with the dog and Rocky loves it.  But it's too rough and he doesn't discriminate when he's jumping up whether it's a middle aged healthy man, or an older woman who nearly gets knocked over by the exhuberance.  It's difficult for me to control him and I know everyone means well, but it's not easy for me and it certainly isn't easy for Rocky to become a well-behaved dog that anyone would love to be around.

I've been having a very rough time the past few days and I know it will get better eventually.  I may eventually hire a private trainer to work with Rocky.   I've been told over and over that it's his age and that he will outgrow it.  But in the back of my mind I wonder, "what if he doesn't outgrow it?"

On another note, I don't recall if I mentioned it, but my son Steve is going to help me do something with my back yard, tiny postage-stamp size that it is.  We will move the rocks to the side of the house, build a small patio with paving stones, plant grass everywhere else, and install fences on both sides making a grassy enclosure for Rocky to enjoy.  I already see myself sitting at a patio umbrella table sipping a beverage of my choice and enjoying being outside with the dog.  I'm also thinking about some planter boxes for growing tomatoes and a few other vegetables. 

I need to get busy and do some laundry today.  I've been putting it off but it's piling too high to let it go any longer.  

Have a good day, wherever you are!

6 comments:

  1. It is rude that strangers invite Rocky to jump up. When you are approaching someone you might have to command him to sit or get a Vest that says he's in training, Do not touch. As Rocky ages the jumping should stop.
    Hoping your outdoor project goes well so you both have somewhere private to relax.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your understanding. I am such a push-over and hate to say much to people who are really just wanting to admire and play with a puppy, but have no idea what training one to be a good citizen is like. I am determined I'm going to speak up more from now on. Yes, the backyard project will be so helpful. I feel so sorry for the dogs in this area because most yards are just rocks, which eliminates the need to use precious water, but they have no place to be that isn't rocks or pavement. We're going to plant the kind of grass that doesn't need as much water.

      Delete
  2. I think your backyard plans sound great. I'm sure Rocky will out grow his exuberance but after having many dogs, I've found if you don't train them as puppies they are difficult to train at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hopeful the backyard can be turned into a place that Rocky and I will get enjoyment from. He's coming along in his training, and he's extremely smart so catches on fast. He's also clever at finding ways around what he supposed to do.

      Delete
  3. I agree, you must tell people to not allow the Rocky to jump on them as it can be a hazard for some older adult people, besides breaking the training you are trying to give him. Maybe hanging on to him when someone approaches would help not allowing him to jump up. Yes like Rick said some people are just so rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to start doing that with our morning walk tomorrow. I think most people here are pretty friendly with dogs, and puppies are so exhuberant and love attention. I'm going to have to speak up for Rocky being in training and not allow others to spoil my dog in ways he shouldn't be spoiled.

      Delete