Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Visit to the vet

I'm relieved that the worst outcome I feared is not a problem.  According to the vet, Rocky has a  case of giardia plus a few other problems.  I recall hearing about giardia when I backpacked on the Appalachian Trail in 1997, and at the time it was always water related.  I filtered my water from all sources and didn't have a problem.  My dog (lab) Smoky drank from rivers, streams, etc., and didn't have a problem.  I think we were extremely lucky!

I have a number of medicines to give him several times a day, and I hope I can keep it all straight.   The prognosis is certainly 100% better than I dared hope, and I think we will eventually get it all straightened out.  I have special food I will be feeding him for a week or so, and since a Lab isn't as fussy about food as most dogs, he will love anything I set down in his food bowl!

I am so relieved and hopeful - I was really worried that I might lose him, when I didn't yet have the diagnosis from the vet.  

I'm tired and will make this a short (for me) post.  Back tomorrow.

 

10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it was nothing serious and the meds should fix him up pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear he will mend quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad to hear he's expected to be 100% ok. Where in the world did he get giardia? I too thought it was from polluted water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess he could have picked it up anywhere. To my knowledge it is a microscopic parasite that is found on infected food, soil, or water, and is spread from contamination from feces of infected sources.

      Delete
  4. I had that. Drank some spring water. Not good but the meds worked wonders. So glad it wasn't a blockage. He's such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to fight it off. The meds are great - I think Flagyl is the most well-known. Not sure what they are giving Rocky, but in addition to giardia he also picked up another parasite called whipworm. I have never heard of it nor do I know where it comes from. With a lab, everything, and I mean everything goes into their mouths. If you could see us on our walks - I'm constantly stopping and prying his jaws open to remove a rock or other item he is chewing.

      Delete
  5. To keep medicines and times straight,I use a paper and write each one and when a dose is given.Each day a new chart with blanks to fill in really helps!

    ReplyDelete