Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Such a good dog!

If you can stand one more post about my dog ----

We went out via the side door and down the steps.  It is awkward, to say the least, and I have to be careful and hold the railing when I'm going down the stairs.  Today, Rocky actually went down two steps and then stopped and turned, and then waited for me to continue on down; then he followed me.  It's as if he knows I need to take my time and hold on to the railing, and he was watching to make sure I was ok.  It was a sweet moment and gesture from such a young dog who hasn't been trained as yet to do things like that.  He and I are going to be close partners.  It's also a good thing that he and Jeannie have bonded as they have, because she gives him something that I can't.  It's win-win all the way around. 


I know many dogs are watchful and careful of their owners, and it doesn't take a pedigree to make a dog into a fine and watchful companion.  But of all the different dogs and breeds that I've been around over the years, there is something "extra" with this one.  He and I are on the same wavelength and I've said many times that he can read my mind - literally.

Jeannie drove me to Bel Air this afternoon to pick up a prescription, and while I was at it I did the shopping that I planned to have delivered.  It was so nice to walk and gaze at the shelves, to chat with the pharmacist, and then the cashier.   Before we left my house I put everything up and out of reach of the dog, and if he found a way to get something I didn't want him to have, then so be it.  I didn't want to put him in the crate and then lock the door, as he then barks the entire time.  When I got home he hadn't destroyed anything or found a way to get into mischief, and he barked when he heard us coming but I'll have to ask my neighbor if he barked the whole time I was gone.

Jeannie brought me the new dog food that had been delivered to her house, and it was good timing because I don't have much of the old stuff left.  I fed him the new kibble for large breed puppies and he loves it!  I had planned to mix some of the older stuff with it but will save that to give as treats, and go straight to the new food which will be much better for him.

Rocky at about 8 wks:  (Click to enlarge)




Rocky at 4+ months:





I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day than today, and it looks like the next week will be great as well.  I love the cool breezes although it gets really warm in the sun. 

I'm really tired this evening but have a little longer before going to bed.  Rocky is stretched out on the floor sleeping already.  Have a nice weekend - I just found out today that Monday is a holiday.

14 comments:

  1. It doesn't take them long to grow does it. And yes he is very tuned into you. to know to wait for you is fabulous. He loves you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's going to be a big dog, and he's off to a good start.

      Delete
  2. He has really grown and I think he's a "real keeper." Labs are so protective of their owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to take good care of one another!

      Delete
  3. Oh my how he has grown! Glad he is so tuned in to you and that he has bonded with Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For such a young dog he has figured out the hierarchy and the players very quickly. He listens to Jeannie very well and learns quickly from her, but one word from me in my "Mom" voice takes care of the situation. But just like a child, he sometimes likes to test the "Mom".

      Delete
  4. Sure glad that Rocky is working out for you. At your and my ages, everyday we wake up is a holiday (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth! I wonder what in the world I was thinking of when I'm walking him and he starts to pull very strongly, especially when we see another dog,

      Delete
  5. He is so shiny and beautiful. And getting so big. I love how you guys have bonded so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly has a beautiful and shiny black coat. He also has a beautiful heart!

      Delete
  6. It's wonderful to hear how happy you are with Rocky. Your happiness just shines right through in your voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gets better every day, and I'm so glad to have him.

      Delete
  7. This last post of yours is really wonderful -- so happy that Rocky is maturing and learning to watch out for you too. Wellness makes a great kibble dog food - I feed it to my 2. You can tell if he's gaining too much weight by looking down on his back. If you can see a slight tuck in just behind his rib cage (it's is "waist") then he's great -- if you don't see any...well...time to cut back on some of those treats -lol. My neighbor who is older than we are recently got a Halti-Lead to walk her 90bl Golden which has solved the problem of him accidentally pulling her when he gets too excited. It goes around his nose so if she give a gentle tug, the dog's face is turned to look at her. I am loving reading your posts -- there is indeed so much joy and excitement in them now. Lynn in Kingston NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I'm hoping the new food is good for him. He certainly loves it which is no surprise. We are going to our 4th puppy class this evening. Jeannie does most of the training because I don't really care for the "new" commands. DOWN vs OFF is one example. If I say DOWN, he knows if I mean lie down or get down off me! I use hand gestures along with many of the commands and it seems to help, but the best is when I "see" the action I want from him in my mind in picture form. I just need to be able to form a picture for not barking, haha. It would no doubt work if I could decide on what it would be. Any suggestions?

      Delete