Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Remarkable Memory!

When Rocky and I are out walking and a vehicle approaches us or comes up behind us, I always make sure we are close to the curb and then stop.   Rocky sits, and we wait for the car or truck to pass, then go on.  I do this for our safety but also to let the driver know we see him or her, and that we will "stay" until they are past.

I'd forgotten about that this morning and on our walk he stopped near the curb and would not move - Duh!  I realized there was a car coming up the street in back of us.   I often  wonder who is training who!   Sometimes I am struck with awe as to what he retains and how quickly he learns.  I'll keep trying to fix the jumping and barking, but it might just be one of the stages he'll go through.  Even kids go through stages during  their childhood.

 Night-time lows are in the 40's lately and I love it.  I have a lightweight thermal blanket plus my comforter and I'm warm and snug.  Rocky has his labrador double coat so he doesn't mind the chill at all and sometimes snuggles up against me, but on top of all the covers!

I was supposed to visit the oncologist this afternoon, but Jeannie just realized I didn't have the blood work done.  I called for another appointment and the first available is Jan 8.  I can wait.

The dog park was empty so I took Rocky over after lunch.  I don't like it at all.  There was no one else there, but it seems depressing to me.  Such a relatively small space, with  a couple of big tables and lots of chairs for socializing.   Two folks who live nearby take their big dogs in when no one else is there, to throw a ball to their dogs.  I tried that a couple of times with mine and he went for the ball, but dropped it and found something else to do.

The Park has taken some of the available space in what is a very small area (especially with 10+ dogs in it) and made it even smaller with big stone planters surrounding the large trees; making a pathway with some sort of very finely crushed stone, plus big concrete areas for the people to sit and socialize, and just generally trying to cram something in too small a space.  I may try it another time.

It's walky-walky time according to my little timekeeper!  Have a good day.

7 comments:

  1. Rocky is one smart little guy, as for the barking and jumping maybe your right it's just a kid thing and he will out grow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was something I could do about it soon - there probably is something but I just haven't tried it yet.

      Delete
  2. I have never been a fan of dog parks..Too much can happen there and often the people who use them have not trained their dogs or are engaged in conversation and not watching their dogs. I trained our dog to do the same when we lived in the city. Your training was very smart as it keeps you and Rocky safe. After he had mastered that I trained him to look left and look right to make sure the road was clear before we crossed a street. Even after we moved to live remotely in the mountains he remembered the left and right which came in handy when I wanted to point something out to him. Rocky is a lucky dog to have someone like yourself to train him this way..Now we live on a dirt road that gets very little use so our current three fur family are not trained that way but we hardly ever encounter vehicles on the road. Dogs like routine and if it isn't followed they will let you know..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments and for sharing your experience. I hadn't thought about the looking right and left, and will start adding that today.

      Delete
  3. Looks like the little fellow is learning and so are you LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we both have lots to learn. I would never have thought I'd be learning so much at this age!

      Delete
  4. Love your description of your walks and how quickly Rocky learns. I can hear in your posts how very happy you are to have him in your life. Good call is what I say. Hope you can take that new apartment and be out of that dog park neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete