Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

I cooked today!

I don't often do it, but when I do I make enough for several meals.  I recently saw a Youtube video of a man cooking chicken ala king, and it sure looked and sounded good to me.  So I ordered a few ingredients I normally don't have on hand, such as mushrooms and heavy cream, and the order was delivered late yesterday.

I couldn't put this off because I had thawed the chicken and had to use it, so today was the day.  I haven't eaten any yet, because Rocky is getting close to his afternoon feeding time and I just wouldn't eat in front of him.  But I tasted the sauce and it is wonderful.  I don't know how it will reheat when I have the leftovers, but the flavors are great.  

I started to walk Rocky to Pet Club and the dollar store this morning.  As soon as we left the park, there is a short street, fairly busy as In 'n Out Burger is here, plus one of the entrances for Shell gas station.  This bit of street leads to a 6 lane divided blvd., Sunrise Blvd, which is heavily traveled all the time.  We didn't get half way down the short street to the blvd when Rocky started getting nervous and didn't want to go on.  I decided I wouldn't put him through that at least at this age.   The sound of trucks and cars were too much for him.

I changed his food yesterday for a brand without many ingredients, and selected a bag with no chicken - but it has salmon instead.  He has been having trouble as I mentioned, and I noticed every one of his "treats" plus his food contains chicken.  Poor little thing -  one thing I wanted to get at Pet Club is some treats he can have - some beef, bison, etc.  He also needs a new collar as well as a harness - I'm not sure whether to get both but want to talk to someone at the store about it.  Several people we meet in the park recommend a harness over the collar for all times.  He walks like a perfect gentleman when he's with only me, but the minute a person appears he goes crazy.  I'm afraid he is going to hurt his trachea with the excessive pulling.  Do any of you who use a harness take it off when they are settled inside the house?  I can't imagine it being comfortable for a dog when they are sleeping, and we all know that's their favorite thing to do next to eating! 

 I have 2 pills left for tomorrow, and one for the following morning, and then I'm finished with that prescription.  It seems to be working but I'll see.  It could be the sandals I mostly wear, that rub across my toe.  I'm wearing athletic shoes now and Rocky loves to sneak up and untie the laces and chew on them.

Time is flying by, folks.  We passed the middle of October already!  I'm looking forward to cooler weather and hope we get some here, but I'm sure not looking forward to 2019 which isn't all that far away.   (I will be another year older by the time we reach 2019!)

By the way, next-door neighbor Ed is alive and well and bought himself a car!  That's why I thought something had happened to him and he had to have someone stay with him.  I sure wish I could find an inexpensive used car!

I'm still waffling back and forth about whether to stay here or move.  At least I don't have to make up my mind immediately, although I need to start weeding out stuff I don't want to take to another house.

18 comments:

  1. My dog is small, maybe 18-20 lbs. I use a soft harness that I like a lot. They have the same for larger breeds also. She has a collar on as well so once we are in the house I do remove the harness. For quick trips outside for doing business, I just hook leash to her collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your info. I think I will probably get a larger collar for Rocky plus a harness. He doesn't pull except when he sees a person and/or another dog. It is so frustrating because he doesn't act that way and is fun to walk until he starts pulling - and he is getting stronger by the day!

      Delete
  2. We lost a dog several years ago. The vet told me his trachea was damaged. (That had nothing to do with his death.). Our dogs wear nothing in the house. When we go out anywhere, they wear harnesses. Pulling, with a collar around his neck, can't be a good thing.
    However, a dog who might get loose, run out a door, etc. would probably need to wear a collar just for his tag with a phone number or address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, and am shocked that damage to his trachea was noticeable. Did he pull a lot? I think after reading yours and kwarthagal's (above) comments, I am going to get a new collar that will be easier on his neck, as well as a harness. I had a harness by the way which was fabric mostly, and I had a devil of a time getting it on. I didn't know where to put his feet, etc., and he patiently let me fool with it until he's just "had it". The man across the street gave me a harness that he had gotten for his last dog but died before he ever wore it. I think it is still too big for Rocky, but I should keep trying it out every week.

      Delete
  3. My pup Dermot wears a harness whenever we go for a walk or to the dog park. It's the Ruff Wear Front Range Harness (https://ruffwear.com/pages/front-range-harness-fit-guide). You can attach the leash in the front or in the back. You'd use the front if there's a pulling problem. Then when we get home he sits down by the door and waits for me to take it off him. At home he just wears a collar.

    I came home once two years ago and the fence I share with a neighbor had completely fallen over. Dermot stayed home like a good boy but I'm always worried that somehow he might get out and I don't want him to be without his ID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an accident to happen - the fence falling over - but what a good boy your Dermot is. I think I'm going to get a lightweight collar as well as a harness and be covered all around. I really worry about how much he pulls and what his neck must feel like. The thing I wonder is - why does he keep doing it if it hurts, and it must hurt?

      Delete
  4. Regarding Rocky's food, after spending lots of $$$'s etc. on the vet for ear infections, it was discovered that my one yellow lab was allergic to "wheat" which is generally near the top of ingredients in dry food. Once we put her on food that did not contain wheat she never had another ear infection. Switched her to Wellness Salmon/Sweet Potatoes for ages and no more allergy issues. Please combine his current food with his new food and gradually introduce the new food to avoid tummy issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a small bag of food with salmon and no chicken, but I'm so impatient I started giving it to him right away. I don't think he was feeling very well the first day (yesterday) but today he's back to normal and the bowels seem to be so much better. I'm doing research online to find a good brand for large breed puppies that have no chicken. Haven't found much yet - if chicken isn't the main ingredient than something like chicken meal is listed below that. Would you mind checking the ingredients in the Wellness Salmon/Sweet Potatoes to see if the least bit of chicken is listed? Thank you very much. You can email me at mgypsy97 at aol dot com, or just respond on my blog. I would really appreciate it.

      Delete
    2. Gypsy, please check your email for the list of ingredients in the Wellness dog food.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, it was in my mail this morning. I really appreciate you sending me the info, and I'll keep you posted when I buy it and how it works with Rocky.

      Delete
    4. You are more than welcome. Glad I could pass this along to nyou.

      Delete
  5. Oh the issues we face. Since I have a doxie and no matter how many harness's I have tried they just don't work they slide right off so he wears a collar and he loves wearing it to. If I am changing to another one for washing he acts so weird until I show him I have another one then he is all happy again. As for food everyone kept talking about this new food no grains or all grains, so I bought a bag and he really had a problem I felt terrible and went out and bought him his usual Beniful which his Vet approved and I mixed them together but I eventually threw the rest away. I'll never buy that stuff again. I also read and article that did not have favorable things to say about this new food. I hope Rocky does well with the new food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is doing much better with the small bag I bought after the last class, but it isn't specifically for large breed puppies so I want to find something that will have what he needs. I think the Large Breed stuff has ingredients that help their legs and other bones grow strong - labs are prone to hip dysplasia, and my former lab mix, Smoky, died when his bones gave out. I'll find something out there for Rocky.

      Delete
  6. At home, our pup do not wear a collar nor a harness, but when out with them, they have harnesses that we use. They are more comfortable than collars. In fact, we have one apparatus that looks like a doggy coat but has a place to attach a leash. That works the best and seems to be the most comfortable for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a dog that pulled so much so the collar always worked. This dog is going to hurt his neck! It takes so much time for me to get the harness attached and he won't stand very still yet, so anything is really a hassle.

      Delete
  7. My 2 year old 65pound girl wears a collar with tag at all times in case she would happen to get out of the yard. I have a harness with the D ring in front that I use when I walk her. If she sees a squirrel I can hardly hold her but the front D ring forces her to turn around. It works well. I don’t have the upper body strength I used to have so it can be challenging at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a harness and new collar last night and have the collar on him now - the old one was just about too small. I will try the harness when I walk him this morning. The trouble with a harness is figuring out where is the front, how to slip it on him properly, where his legs go, when all the while he is dancing around me!

      Delete
  8. A harness with ring to hook in front is what you need. That prevents the trachea or esophagus being damaged by pulling as they do when the leash is attached to their collar. With the leash attached in front, if they pull they are automatically pulled back towards you. It was a life-changer for me and my dog when our trainer told us about this, and I bought such a harness. Now, with a leash attached to her collar she acts totally different. There is no pulling (which is their being alpha) - but when I put on the harness and attach the leash in front she is behaved, walks by my side 90% of the time, and I am alpha. I keep her collar with tags on at all times, and she only wears the harness when we are going out.

    ReplyDelete