Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Got the rabies shot! & Update

Donald drove me to the vet this morning so Rocky could get his rabies shot - the last thing necessary for him being able to go to the dog park.  I didn't know it would take so long to take complete effect, but the vet said to wait 2 weeks, so that's what I'll do.  It's tempting at times to give him a run in there when there are no other dogs, but I can't rush it and take a chance on his health.

The vet also said I should start feeding him more, so that will make him ecstatic!  He gets so excited whenever I start to pour his food into the bowl that he leaps up in the air in excitement.  

I  knew Donald and the gang wore Rocky out a couple of days ago when Jeannie & I went to Costco and they took Rocky to the park.  Two men and 3 or 4 kids wore that poor baby out, and I noted that he was tired all the next day.  Donald told me this morning that the kids ran him around the park and finally he pretended to not hear what they were saying or see them trying to coax him back into the "game".   I wish I was young enough to run with him, but since I'm not I am lucky to have family that will play with him.  We all have our special place in the chain of life.

I'm tired and think I will grab a little nap as long as Rocky is snoozing. 

UPDATE:  After a nice nap Rocky is awake but not feeling very well.  He really doesn't want to  walk which is totally out of character.  I gave him a big treat that he can chew on for a little while and he's happy, but he seems to have a small fever, not unusual for having the shots.  I told the vet today (and have told them every time) that I don't want them to give him two major injections at the same time.  So what did they do?  He got the next in a series of shots for the usual - leptospirosis, etc. - plus the rabies.  No wonder he's not his usual self.

11 comments:

  1. Dogs and kids have to get their immune shots. Of course, we treat our pups as our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time Kathy has a shot it slows her down so with Two Shots Rocky is going to be slow for a few days.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'd slow down after getting a single shot too. I get a tetanus shot every 10 years and that's enough for me.

      Delete
  3. Gypsy -- It's definitely the reaction to the 2 vaccines that has slowed poor Rocky down tonight -- Lepto vaccine is an especially tough vaccine for most dogs to tolerate - it almost killed 1 of my previous Cavaliers because of the reaction she had to it. And one of my current dogs can't tolerate the Rabies vaccine and I have to pre-medicate her by giving her a 25mg Benedryl a couple of hours before she gets the distemper shot. If Rocky is still "down" tomorrow call the vet and check with them. This is a tough vaccine combination for him to get (darn vets - wish they sometimes listened better!). They might have to give him a cortisone injection if he is still having a serious reaction to the double vaccines. I never give Lepto anymore, but then we're not in an area where it's a major issue. Lyme disease is because of all the darn deer ticks here. My 2 got the Lyme vaccine a couple of years ago and still come up with positive immunity so we haven't needed to re-do that shot. Glad Rocky had such fun with the grandkids though! Good excuse for you to see more of the kids yourself. Give him a special treat tonight. Lynn in Kingston NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's gradually becoming his more trouble-making self, haha. Would you believe they said they would give him the Lyme disease shot as well, and that was when I didn't realize they were already doing rabies and leptospirosis! When I said No to lyme, she said, "Oh you don't want to vaccinate him against Lyme?" I told here I wanted him vaccinated against it, but not at the same visit as the rabies shot. I definitely am concerned about Lyme, and you certainly don't have to go to a dog park to find the ticks. Rocky has been getting way more than his usual share of treats lately.

      Delete
  4. My grand kids used come by and run Fred he loved it but one day he refused to walk anymore and they had to carry him home. He doesn't get to see them much anymore with their work schedules and life. But when the little once come they really give him a work out and then he hides when he has had enough. The heart guard meds will make him kind of sleepy for about a day and half then he is right back to his old self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dog and even a puppy can usually take care of themselves as they know when to stop playing and take a rest. Those two men and 4 kids really wore him out though.

      Delete
  5. Sure hope Rocky is feeling more like himself today. Those shots can really make them feel lousy for awhile. You may need to lend him out to those grandkids a little more often so they can run some of that energy of his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His energy is still flagging a little, but it's improving. I'm going to be really proactive from now on about only one strong vaccine at a time, and not lumped together in one visit. I have a plan that pays for everything including visits, so I can see where they would rather do three in one, that three separate visits. I know that I told them I only wanted the rabies shot, but now I see I'm going to have to be a bulldog about it! This last visit they took Rocky back to one of the treatment rooms and left Donald and me sitting in the waiting area!

      Delete
    2. That's exactly how our Paisley got the Lepto shot that nearly killed her - the vet insisted that he had to take her in back to do the shots and my husband didn't know that he should insist she stay there. I learned to never let them take the dog from my sight unless there's things like x-rays. A good vet and vet-tech/asst should be able to do everything right there in front of you. It's also so much more reassuring for the dog to have you there with them. After the Lepto vac incident, which was followed by the same vet trying to dupe me into shots my other dog did not need... I was out of there! Found me a new vet who would work with me, listen to me, etc. So, Gypsy, yes you do need to be a bulldog for your Rocky -- And it's so wonderful to see you loving and enjoying him.

      Delete