Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, October 8, 2018

A lot of training needed

I certainly wish the puppy training class had started with the most important behavior problems, jumping and barking.  I think they saved them for last, and will no doubt recommend taking the second series of classes to get the full training for these two obnoxious habits.   Right now he's on my list for an incredibly bad walk, as well as for chewing things he shouldn't.  It's pretty funny because he has that "guilty dog" look that could break your heart it's so cute, except you'd like to beat him for what he's done!  (But you don't.)

After the strong winds the past two days I have mounds of leaves and debris in my yard and driveway that I need to clean up.  I can't do it with the dog around because he makes a game of trying to get the broom.  Of course when I tie him up, he barks.

I wish I'd hear something good in the news for a change - it's been a long time since I've been able to read the news and not be depressed about it.  And I'm almost depressed about the cold coming into the northern plains and even stretching into Colorado, but the far west continues to be warm.  I would like a taste of cold weather now and then.   I haven't had to wear my parka or boots for years, it seems.  (I hope I don't regret saying that!!!)

Maybe the class this evening will be one that I can be happy about.  I'm reminded of the old saying, "Hope springs eternal".   As long as I can hope, I can be satisfied, if not ridiculously happy!

Have a good day!



6 comments:

  1. Don't get impatient, it takes quite awhile to train a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same with kids, and I got impatient with them too, but they've all grown up well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried using a spray bottle with water in it to discourage the barking?
    I once had an Irish Setter, in her puppy stage she would not stay out of my flower beds. I can home from work to find everything dug up again. I took her through the yard showing her the plants and spanking her bottom with my hand each time. Well it didn't matter to her and I sat in the middle of the yard crying and holding her. We had to use an electric fence, it only took a couple days and she was done digging. Oh my, puppy stage, I commend you for having a new puppy now. Becki

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's gone through some of the negative stages quite quickly, but still jumps on everyone but me, and still barks. iI remember from training former pets that the raised knee is the best response to jumping. I never push with the knee but if I raise it he bumps into it and think it's something he's done. I've tried to teach my granddaughters, but they are afraid they will hurt him. As for getting a puppy so close to my age rolling over to 78, I should have had my head examined!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe if you roll up a magazine or a news paper and tape it together and slap it on your hands it might just scare him enough to stop, but of course he might find that a fun game also. Spraying water at him could also work. They have collars that will spray them when they bark. I just don't know what else you can do. Maybe if you talk to the trainer and tell her/him how bad this is she might get on to this part of the training

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for the trainer, some of it is interesting to me to see how they've changed over the years - methods as well as language. I'm too old for that kind of change, and a lot of things that she goes way into the psychology of a dog for, I've already done on our daily walks., Sit, stay, etc., and now leave it, are mosstly obeyed by Rocky, although sometimes he gives me a look like he's never heard aq word before. I think he's playin' with me!

      Delete