Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, October 19, 2018

To Buy or Not to Buy

That is the question!  For someone who is opinionated (as I usually am), I sometimes let people talk me into buying what I don't want.  I shopped at Pet Club last night (a local CA business centered in San Francisco).  I like that their prices are great, their selection is overwhelming, and their employees are knowledgeable.  But I wanted a bag of puppy food for large breeds, and the woman kept talking me into one that she swore was good for ALL dogs.   I knew better.  How can the same food be the best for a doxie, yorkie, lab or golden retriever, boxer, etc.  So now I need to return the bag of puppy food and get what I was advised by the vet.  It makes sense that a puppy who is growing into a big active dog would need stronger legs, bones, etc.  I could train this dog to be a hunting dog which would require him running through the woods, retrieving, swimming, etc.  His needs are definitely different than a lap dog!  (I won't be doing any of that training by the way, because I don't have the legs for running through woods, retrieving, swimming, etc.)

Right now, as I'm trying to type this blog, he is looking for trouble to get into!

I haven't mentioned the possible move in a few days, and I'm still not certain but I'm leaning toward the duplex with the big fenced back yard.   I like the fact that I have stores near me such as Pet Club, Dollar Store, Sportsman's Club, and Smart & Final (which I rarely shop at), but since I had to turn back when Rocky got closer to the traffic noise and congestion, it doesn't matter that it's close.  I can't walk him there.  With the duplex I would be at least a mile from shopping but while there is traffic, there are also sidewalks which should make Rocky feel more secure.

The current tenants of the duplex are expecting their first child and would like to move back closer to family.  They have 6 months on their lease, but may move sooner (or later) than that.  I'm really not in a hurry especially with winter and holidays approaching.   I could also change my mind during the waiting period.

I love lazy mornings, but it's time for me to get dressed and possibly do some cleaning before Rocky needs a walk.  T.G.I.F.

12 comments:

  1. As a woman your age with a large labradoodle and a rescue lab mix I would strongly recommend you get the duplex. Closer to shopping and family yes but even more importantly you will have a yard for Rocky. Right now you have few options to exercise him. If you get sick or injured you have no options. You will be in your eighties in a few years and still have Rocky needing to be exercised and you may not be up to walking him as much as he needs. With a yard you can always let him out. You can also sit by the door and throw a ball for him for exercise and as you know labs will chase after balls forever! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. I'm leaning towards the duplex, and your reasoning is sound. The Old Gray Mare Ain't What She Used to Be!

      Delete
  2. I do hope you'll make the move. I just can't imagine you'll be sorry being in a bigger place with a nicer yard closer to your kids. I also believe the finances will work themselves out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not completely optimistic about the finances. I'll be giving up a chunk of the relatively small discretionary money I have available each month.

      Delete
  3. Good luck on making your decision. Which ever it is, I am sure it will work out for you and the puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trusting that it will work out. For financial reasons I would stay here even though I don't care much for it. But for a little privacy and a back yard with actual grass, I will be better off and Rocky certainly will be better off. There are a few really nice people here that I will miss though.

      Delete
  4. At one point you mentioned just giving your place away, you put a lot of money into it and maybe selling would at least give you a little nest egg. Even a few thousand would help.

    I think your right about Rocky needed puppy food, I would go with the vet recommended one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about selling the house, especially since the boys replaced all the windows. I'd need to do a little fixing on a few things, but yes, I'd like to get something out of it. One issue is the driveway. I doubt it has ever been repaved and as I mentioned, the original owner painted everything green to match the house - the ugly 1960's green! That included the black driveway and the green is showing through everywhere. If I ever get to Home Depot I want to talk to someone about whether there is something i can coat it with to make it all black again. They also put in a patio (in the most ridiculous place on the entire lot) and painted it green as well as the cement around the front entrance! I'd love to find an old original photo of this place in all its green glory!

      Delete
  5. Oh my Gypsy, I did not realize your possible move was so imminent. Whatever you decide I am sure you will have weighed all the possible scenarios. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting worried about you. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, reading again, maybe you have been moving! That would be a happy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where are you??? Hope you are OK, I am concerned 🤨

    ReplyDelete