Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, March 31, 2013

More on weeds and cell phones

I'd like to clarify my last post lest anyone think I'm so loopy that I would get sad over a bunch of weeds growing. I'd be more likely to get sad over the clutter in my living room, but it doesn't bother me all that much.

I have known I must do something about the exterior of my property because the park police are making lot inspections beginning April 1.  So nearly every day this year that the temperature reached above 50F and was not raining I have worked in the yard, anywhere from half an hour to several hours.  I try to do it in smaller doses, but rather than notice a steady improvement it seems the grass and weeds grow back overnight.

One of the park managers came to my door on Friday, smiling, and handed me an envelope.  He said something about removing the weeds, and still smiling remarked that he knew I had been working on it.  I haven't been that angry for a long time.  Lot inspections start on April 1 beginning with lot #1, and mine isn't even in the first hundred, so I knew I had at least two weeks.  I haven't even opened the envelope and probably won't, it made me so mad.  Then I began to get depressed just thinking about it.

For the rest of the day I thought about how I could either sell the house really cheap and get the hell out, or go into some debt to have everything fixed that needs it - roof, windows, driveway, etc.  When I read the notice in the monthly newsletter about the inspections, they even talk about houses, skirting, mailboxes, etc., on which the paint is fading or chipped and needs repainting.  I live in a 1962 mobile home for god's sake, in Sacramento, CA which broils in the summer sun, and I guess most paint fades.

I don't like anything about gated communities or homeowner's associations, and this is one of the reasons.  So even though I like having a place of my own, I thought of the relative freedom of living in an RV.  Yes, there are restrictions in many RV parks or "resorts", but they aren't the kind of places I would enjoy staying at to begin with.  

So I was in an agitated state for the rest of the day, and then in the evening I began to get messages on my cell phone.  It would give an alert and when I checked it said I had received a new photo from Joe (youngest son).  Would I like to see the photo?  Photo album is empty.  Delete message.  That was followed over the course of the next couple hours by identical messages regarding new photos from Jeannie, Donald, Steve, and Meg.  I emailed Jeannie & Joe saying that for some reason I couldn't access the photos, and could they send them to me attached to an email.  It turns out they were texting (no photos involved) and included my phone # in the distribution list.  I'm not sure why I couldn't get the messages except that maybe I need to set up my phone for texting?  I am almost sure I have texting capability on my phone, but as I dislike texting to begin with I never worried about setting anything up.  

The alerts went on steadily for several hours.  At one point I turned off my phone, but later when I turned it back on I had tons more messages to delete.  It was too much for me, and I nearly fell apart then - that's when the sadness hit.  I can't even deal with a damn cell phone!

I don't like to text but I do like to email.  I don't do Facebook, but I do like to email.  That leaves me out of the loop where I will remain, but I'm still sort of sad about it.  So while it isn't going to happen, I would love to get rid of this house, get a nice small Class C, and take off for whatever time I have left in this world.  Throw out all the phones and go places I can't even use a computer.  Do what I like with no restrictions and no orders as long as I stay within the confines of the law.  It's sad to be out of sync with the rest of the world, but I wouldn't trade being me for anything. 
   

 

12 comments:

  1. As I remember you acquired your present home FREE
    We can either choose to complain about everything in life OR
    find the good and be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in a mobile home community that has an RV park as part of it. I look with envy at the RV's parked in the RV part, remembering our fulltiming days. But, alas, they are over. We have the same problems that you do with the "Appearance Police". It takes the fun out of life if you have to worry about every weed that comes up, and OMG, the DO seem to appear overnight.

    I think you are on the right track to put down the plastic and rocks. That is what we have, but some weeds do still spring up here and there where the plastic sheeting pieces meet.

    Perhaps you can persuade someone to come on a regular basis to keep the weeds down sufficiently to keep the police at bay.

    Given the choice, our Lazy Daze Class C would be my home in a community like this where there is the possibility of camaraderie and activities without the attendant responsibilities. Bonus: When traveling, there is no lot rent to pay for an unoccupied dwelling or space.

    Please don't let the comment above from Anonymous get to you. Reading and writing blogs are personal things; negative commenting is just downright mean, and not at all helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently live in a Mobile Home park so can relate to how you feel. They told me one year I had to paint my house and it was not even that bad. I told them during this recession I don't have the extra money for it and they dropped it. I paid a previous neighbor to pull my weeds. It was the best $140 well spent. I hate receiving those park police notices and can't wait to get out of this place one day.

    Soon you will be in Lassen and enjoying yourself ; )

    Enjoy the Sunday!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the texting turned off on my cell also. It has been that way for years and years.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Some of the boards can be on a power trip...... The part I find unacceptable is the way some people are singled out while others seem to be favored...... The notices can raise your blood pressure ..... Take it in stride if at all possible ...GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gypsy if you are that unhappy... since you owe nothing on your home, get a Class C and live by a river... move when you want.

    live for YOU ... and as adage says.. you can't take the money with you... you have a great family... they will come to you and you can go to them ... any time you want.

    Waking up to a morning filled with nature and no bodies until you say so? ... nothing like it

    illegitimi non carborundum !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish we were out in Sacramento area already...won't get there until June. If we were there, I would volunteer to come over and do some work while you visited with my wife Marcia. When there we stay at my sister's house near I-80 and Antelope....brother-in-law put in an extension to their second driveway and our motor home fits just perfect on it. And I know what you mean by the heat...lived there for 30+ years until I moved in '86. Can't wait to get back and see the family again....

    Dave (and Marcia and Bubba and Skruffy - GoingRvWay.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy do I hate people who don't have the courage to stand by their own words and sign their name but hide behind anonymous posting when criticizing someone. Now that makes me MAD.

    I hope you will be able to get out of that community and all its rules. Life is too short to be unhappy about other folks expectations. Could you sell the house for anything and get a little home on wheels so you can do what your heart really desires?
    I think sad comes when we just feel overwhelmed and that's how you sound. I hate texting too and don't do it. I have it turned off on my phone so it won't even come through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard that plastic under the rocks tends to break down with heat. They make a fabric just for that purpose which doesn't break down Maybe that will be the answer for you. PS I don't know if it is more expensive, but you could check before the rnovation begins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you are having a rough time. Some people do not know how to use their authority wisely. I understand they don't want the place to become a shanty town but why harass people who are making an effort. Doesn't make sense.

    As for communication... I refuse to use any other internet media than my Blog, comments and email. I might miss out on a lot of things but life is too short to waste time on Facebook, Twitter and whatever. Texting is a useful tool for messages and can save me expensive phone calls but many days can go by with barely a text to bother about. It is a skill worth learning. We use it among family and closest friends for quick catch-ups and reminders of meeting times and places etc. I do not use any of the stupid shortened codes. They are like reading gobbledygook so I ignore them or ask for clarification if it seems important enough.

    The scary thing about growing older is that technology becomes harder to keep up with. I manage by keeping things as basic as possible and it sound as though that's what you are doing too.

    Glad you have got someone to do your rocks and weeds. They are a terrible combination if not done well.

    All the best.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you get to feeling better really soon. And smile when you think of me and my stupid night last night ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know exactly how you feel - I HATE Homeowner Associations. I'll never again live in a condo or anywhere that has one again. Both times I had a condo, I LOVED my home, but HATED the HOA.

    I understand that having a good, solid HOA board is a good thing, because they keep the values up and make sure you aren't living in a "slum" type place. I was a good resident, but the boards were a royal pain in the *ss.

    My plan, when I want to be more "grounded," is to be in an RV park long term - maybe pay for a month at a time, or three months for more of a discount. The thing I like about that is I will still have wheels. If I'm happy, I will stay longer. If I'm not happy with the rules, neighbors, loud pets, weather or anything else, I'll move on to another park.

    I think you'd love a nice Class C, get a small/medium dog and choose where you want to live. You don't have to travel. California is expensive, though, for RV parks, so maybe Arizona, move every three months north or south depending on the weather.

    You'll figure it out and a new adventure will be born! :)

    ReplyDelete