Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, March 22, 2013

Car service done

I was up early in order to get my car over to Jesse's Neighborhood Garage for a 90k checkup and oil change.  I managed to have coffee and breakfast before I left.  The plan was to drive over, leave the car, and walk back.  I realized when I got there I had white socks on because I wanted to wear walking shoes, but forgot and put on my navy blue clogs.  Picture white socks and blue clogs.  Sounds 1950'ish to me!  Thankfully I've reached the age where I don't get so mortified about things like that.

I also had wet hair as I don't bother with the hair dryer any more.  I could hear my mother admonishing me, warning of the cold or pneumonia I might catch going out in the cold morning with wet hair.  My mom passed into another world in 1983 but she still manages to let me know when I do something she considers dumb or dangerous.  Mom, in eleven years I'll be the age you were when you died!

Last night I discovered another plus with my new cell phone.  It came with the charger plus a car charger which is a real help when I think about Lassen and no electricity, plus driving all the miles to and from NY.  The bonus is that I tried the phone charger into my MiFi  and it fits!  So with one car charger I can take care of the phone as well as the MiFi.  Now to figure out how I can charge the computer battery, although I guess I can do that at motels on the road, or possibly at the laundromat near Lassen.  Being a volunteer in the Park a lot of the local businesses are willing to accommodate me which I really appreciate. 

I remembered to change my shoes for walking back to get my car.  The wind was fierce, but I made it.  The bill was a little less than estimated, but in 10-15k miles I will need a new timing belt plus some other rather expensive items.  My tires are fine, but I will definitely check them out again before I leave for NY.

Another weekend here.  Jeannie, Donald, and the two little girls are flying to PA for a visit with Ara.  Mike will bring the boys on Sunday and they will all have a nice visit.  On the last flight the family made there was a problem with overbooking, so Jeannie accepted four free tickets for them to fly anywhere in the U.S. and now they are claiming the flights.   I hope they have decent weather in PA as well as in the city of their connecting flight.  

I was just about to doze off when I got the call to come and get my car, so I think I will rest my eyes now.  Have a nice weekend everyone.   

5 comments:

  1. We have a small amperage inverter that plugs into the cigar lighter port in the truck (140 watts AC). Plugs in just like the car charger. Will charge and/or run a laptop and the MIFI at the same time if I piggyback off a USB port on a laptop.
    That should take care of charging up at Lassen, particularly if you use a decent sized photovoltaic panel to keep your car battery topped up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 12v inverter ...

    http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-tyc&p=car%2012v%20inverteres&type=

    I have two ... one for eons ago then bought a new one but neither would charge my Mac... forget if you have a Mac... as usual ~ they're different

    Best to be driving when charging though ~ Sears or truck stops or Walmart or Costco will have them... REI ~ they're everywhere.

    Yes... I can still hear my Mother's voice ~ put a scarf on your head! (hated wearing scarves on my head) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope they don't get into any of the bad weather headed our way for Sunday. Urrr....6-10 inches of snow. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just yesterday when in LaQuinta, CA - at Wally world of course) we found a USB charger that will charge your phone as well as your computer. It is made by RCA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 free tickets sounds like just the thing. The difficulty of traveling on an airline these days is enough cost. They should give the tickets away.

    I had to laugh about your shoes. I do that sort of thing all the time. Just hope they were comfortable enough to walk home in.

    ReplyDelete