Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A day's work

I washed two loads of laundry and got everything hung out to air dry.  I thought I would just kick back for the rest of the day because my energy was spent, but then remembered I needed to change the sheets on my bed.  I put the summer sheets on, which means I'm in no hurry to launder the ones I just took off.

I figured I needed to turn the mattress as well.  Thank god it's only a queen size rather than king!  I got it turned little by little on the bed, then pushed it to stand upright against the back wall while I straightened the bed skirt.  The mattress kept wanting to fall back onto the bed, so I pushed my butt against it to hold it upright while I stretched and tried to straighten the skirt.  Finally I was able to lower the mattress and adjust it a little at a time so that it fit nicely over the springs.  Made the bed and I really wanted to just fall into it.  That is a job I don't normally do by myself, but sometimes you just have to get something done and don't have the patience to wait.  Patience isn't my long suit, as you may have guessed.

Several folks have written to me about getting a dog.  I've mentioned several times how much I would like to have one, and I really would.  I promised myself though, that I would work at Lassen this summer and can't have a dog there.  I also want to make the drive to the east and back without a dog.  So that means it will be later on in the fall before I get one, if I still am interested in having another dog.

I really do love big dogs best and can't see myself with a small one, even though it might be easier to deal with.  A dog is a dog though, has to be fed and watered, walked, groomed, etc.  The breeds that interest me so far are a male black lab, or a smaller female german shepherd or rottweiler.  I would definitely need to get a dog that has grown out of the puppy stage, and preferably a middle aged dog.  I don't have to be in a hurry because there will always be good dogs who need a loving home.  Who knows, I might find and consider an elderly dog and then it would be a crap shoot which one of us would outlive the other.

My campground at Lassen will open June 7 (Fri.) so I will drive up either Mon. or Tues. of that week.  That's the schedule but you all know how things can change in a hearbeat.

I can say that the few times I've used my new Jitterbug cell phone I can definitely hear better - the sound and quality are even better than the land line.  It doesn't have to be turned up so loud that it "shouts out" at you - the sound is just superior.  I will have to ask one of my kids to try it out and see how they find it - is the quality of sound just engineered specifically for the normal hearing loss of older people, and would it be problematic to younger folks?  I'll let you know.    

5 comments:

  1. With my bad hearing I have my cell phone turned way up. In fact my wife can hear who I am talking to from across the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well color me impressed that you could turn a queen sized mattress yourself. Well done!

    I love dogs too and have had them every day of my life until the last two died some years before I went on the road. I didn't get others becasue I had vowed that I would not have one on the road not only because of the "fed, watered, walked, groomed" that you mentioned but also the costs of veterinary care and the limitations in where I could go since dogs are not allowed in so many natural areas. So count me as one on the side of don't get a dog until you are ready to limit your traveling.

    I'm really interested in your jitterbug phone review. Sounds excellent so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister raises labs. The males are typically more headstrong than the females - are you sure you would be able to cope with a male?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet the opportunity to get another dog one day will just present itself when the time is right. Glad the Jitterbug is working out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I will say the same thing to you that Pooldad says to me when I pull a stunt like you did with the bed - What were you thinking woman?!

    ::laughing:: Don't worry. I know exactly what you were thinking. If we didn't do it, it would bother us and when would it get done? Right? So I appreciate why you had to do it, but please try to have someone help next time. I held my breath through your description of doing it, fearing that you ended up trapped under the mattress. Ask me how I know THAT is a possibility? That was a long afternoon if I recall correctly. ::grin::

    Pooldad and I talk all the time about getting another dog after Spottie's time comes, as the kids will all be out of the house by then - God willing she lives into her teens - but we err on the side of not having another one because we want to travel, if we can - and road trip, what not, without having to worry about a dog, or an aged dog.

    That sound you hear? That is ALL of our children laughing at the thought of us not getting another dog after Spot. yeah, I don't know why we have the discussion either. It's a moot point. We'll never be without one, but I do completely understand you waiting just now.

    And so happy about your phone. I might have to look into one of those. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete