Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Maps

I guess you can consider this somewhat of a post on travel.  I often feel guilty writing a blog that originally was about my travels, but mostly ends up being about my humdrum day.

In my computer/camping stuff/junk room I have big laminated full color maps on two walls.  One is a map of the United States, and the other is a world map.  Am I the only one, or does anyone reading this have the same experience when looking at a map - the feeling of being drawn into it.

I first experienced this phenomenon when I worked in an office in Sacramento in the 1980's.  One of my co-workers got a big laminated map of the U.S. and hung it on the wall outside my cubicle.  When I was bored or needed a short break, I would walk to that map and look at the different states, and before long I would be drawn right into the places I was studying on the map.  It still happens to me, and is a wonderful way to be transported to another place, and to dream about "what if".

This morning after reading the news headline about the threat by N.Korea to launch a nuclear weapon, I went to the world map to find it's exact location and proximity to the West Coast of the U.S. and Hawaii.  Dang, it's right on the border with China, as well as with S.Korea, of course.   

I hold in my heart the U.S military personnel who are stationed in S.Korea.  One of my uncles, a U.S. Marine, fought in the Korean War.  My husband served in S.Korea (Camp Casey) during the early 1960's.  I spent 5 weeks in S.Korea in the mid 1980's, mostly in Seoul but was able to visit the demilitarized zone at Panmunjom.  We have a lot of military personnel at Panmunjom, and they would be the first line of defense in an attempted border crossing.  The N.Korean army has always tried to tunnel their way under the DMZ, and the Corps of Engineers have the eternal job of finding and filling in the tunnels.  So I really hope that negotiations can prevent another war with the N.Koreans.

I followed up with a look at the U.S. map which I always find calming and exhiliarating at the same time.  It isn't practical for planning a road trip, but it's good for an overview of the possibilities.

I just got my mail and had a letter from another of the three friends I wrote to in Ireland.  She owned the house I lived in for the first two years I was there, and was a wonderful friend.  I would really love to go back for a couple of months, but the cost is prohibitive.  For one thing, it would mean a rental car which would be a lot of money for that long.  But I can nearly taste the Murphy's Stout, and hear the music and laughing in the pubs.  Time to go look at the wall map and let myself be pulled in.

  

9 comments:

  1. Looking at a map is a wonderful way to remember your past travels, and being a Gypsym, you have traveled a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Marty! First thing I did yesterday after finding out I would not be going to the Elk Refuge was to pull out my US map and dream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since we don't do much traveling anymore, I am always looking at maps and dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy looking at maps and if I am planning a trip, I will print some detailed maps from the internet and daydream about hiking trails in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have always loved looking at maps & have maps on my bedroom walls at home. I have always been drawn into maps as well. So many memories for any of us who have traveled. I especially like flying to places I've been on Google Earth. What a great experience that is. Same as a map only more graphic & real. My great Benchmark Atlas's are never far away & geopgraphy in school was always one of my favorites....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a shame that paper maps are becoming almost extinct. Kids today just pull out their IPhones and look it up on there, or people use their GPS system. We say give us a good ole map. I'm glad you still enjoy looking at yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love my wall maps. All the possibilities. All the memories of places I've been. Dreams of places I want to go. So many, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to purchasing our Hawaiian maps. John will use GPS but you still need maps to think about where you want to go and double check the GPS.

    I've never had a map on the wall in my home but maybe it's time I thought about one. It would be great in my own office, sewing/craft room if I ever get that organised.

    Where would we be without maps? Up the creek without a paddle?

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel that way too. I could go here or there, see this or that..LOOK, it is only an inch or so, that is not far, right??

    ReplyDelete