Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, March 30, 2013

What a difference a day makes

If I had written this post last night as I thought about doing, I would have said goodbye from blogging altogether.  I haven't felt so sad in a long time, and it started the night before last, coming to a crescendo by the time I went to bed last night. 

I don't know what caused me to feel so sad, and it was sadness, not depression.  Fighting a losing battle with the weeds and grass in my yard may have had a lot to do with it, but all evening I was fighting back the tears.

This morning the sadness was gone and I headed out to the farmers market.



That is yellow chard, red chard, asparagus, strawberries, brussel sprouts, and almond butter.  (I'm not sure why this type is different than what I started out with - I used the same font and size.)  I spent a while rinsing the chard, tearing it into smaller pieces, and bagging it in large ziplocks.  To remove the water that remains on the leaves I could use a salad spinner, but that would be too easy and no fun.  So I hold the bag out in front of me and spin myself and the bag.  I make about three circles, at which time I'm dizzy and have to hold on to the countertop, but most of the water is pooled in one bottom corner of the bag.  I merely have to tip the bag and let the water drain out.  This is fun, it works, and the leaves stay fresh for quite a while.  I have even done this to greens that have been just tossed in the fridge and get all wilted, but after the rinsing and bagging and spinning, the leaves become crispy and fresh after a couple hours of refrigeration.  It's magick!  (Just kidding - anyone can do it.)

I mentioned how sad and beaten down I've become over the weed situation.  Well when I was driving back from the farmer's market I noticed a man working on the little front yard (full of weeds) of the man next door.  I went up to the guy and asked him to please check my yard when he got a chance and let me know what he would charge me to rake up the rocks, dig up the remnants of plastic that are beneath the rocks, lay new plastic and put back the rocks.  For the long strip of ground along the side of the house, plus the back between the house and the fence, he told me $200.  I have probably already spent over $50 for weed killers and would have to keep applying that stuff and buying more, and still wouldn't conquer the weeds.  I consider it a good deal and he will come back this Tuesday to do my yard.  

I've thought about trying to find a lawn service to do it, but the fact that this man was at hand and I could talk to him about it seemed like a foregone conclusion.  No doubt I'll have to buy a couple of bags of rocks to augment what is already there.

This is dipping into my tax refund which I have earmarked for travel but it can't be helped.   Last night all I wanted was to get rid of this house and find a small Class C I could live in.  I would get in it and just drive to a remote National Park or Forest and the hell with everything else.  I'd still like to do that but realize it isn't going to happen.    

10 comments:

  1. I have had blogger change my font from one paragraph to another, but it has been well behaved lately. Don't tell me it is starting that again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better. Don't worry about the weeds. If I let the yard get me down, I would never get out of bed:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're feeling better today. Good idea to take care of the weed problem is that is the source of your sadness! Hope you have a happy day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only had one instance in my life when I had to deal with overwhelming sadness and depression, and that was shortly before I decided to divorce. I hope things continue to pick up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure the problem with the weeds contributed to your mood, making you wish you could be somewhere else. But remember an RV can have problems, also, as you well know. Hope solving the weed problem will help you to feel better and keep you looking forward to your travels this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand periods of sadness & I understand periods of depression. It is the way it is for some of us that many others have no understanding about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too understand periods of sadness and depression. Mine is often the feeling of being overwhelmed with things I don't want in my life. Mornings sometimes make things look better. Glad they did for you and that you found someone to solve the problem most on your mind. Seems like that was meant to be. He was right there just when you needed him and the price seems very good to me. I can certainly understand your wishing you could dump the house and move off in a class C. Wish you could too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the reason your weeding problem caused you such sadness is the feeling of being stuck and having to... hate the have to's.

    You're a gypsy at heart ... Lassen is coming up soon, right? back to a place where you can breathe and be who you really are... a spunky ol broad that has done stuff many folk only dream of doing ... what a life you've had and it ain't over till I sing....

    move along...

    weeds be damned and full speed ahead

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really a good price and well worth it. I know it will make a world of difference and look just great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes for our own sanity we just have to spend the money. And it is worth every penny. I'm glad your sadness eased up and you can enjoy spinning again. Remember fighting with those sewer hoses.

    ReplyDelete