Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Soup is on

I cooked this big pot of minestrone soup for my supper, but as it is now lunch time I think I'll have a bowl for both lunch and supper. I got the recipe from the Sunday Parade magazine that comes with the newspaper, and of course I tweaked it a bit - adding seasonings to make it tasty and a few more of the veggies I like. The recipe called for a can of canelli beans, and I decided I'd try them. The bean itself is tasteless, I think. I normally cook beans from scratch and have to hold myself back from seasoning too much, but my beans sure taste better. The can says it contains 6g of protein, so it probably a good idea to add them to the soup. I also added a pound of good ground beef. I can't wait to try it, although I've tasted the broth and it is wonderful! I hope I'm not too tired of it by the time I finish the last of it.


Sometimes in the evening I watch TV to help me stay awake until a decent bedtime. I am so sick of what's in the news lately that I skip it altogether. Since I only watch a few stations such as Animal Planet, Science, and History channels, there sometimes isn't much to see. I refuse to watch Hillbilly Handfishin' and Pawn Stars, so it leaves me very little. Lately I've watched Searching for Bigfoot (they really aren't seriously searching as the program attempts to entertain rather than to inform), or Ghost Hunters. Sometimes Ghost Hunters looks at some very interesting places, but I've noticed lately that when one of the hunters is startled by a noise, they shout "What the hell was that". I've made a game of seeing if I can beat them to it. I think next time I watch, I will count the times I hear "What the hell was that", and then write a letter to the producers of the show asking if they can't be a little more original. TV is for the most part a gigantic waste of time and brain cells, but when you live alone there isn't much of an alternative.

GMail is at it again. After switching everyone over to their "new look" which I hate, I suddenly found myself back in the old version. Now they are again saying everyone is going to get the new look, like it or not. Well, I don't, and I'm switching everything I can to my AOL account. I hate it when a site changes the look and there is no apparent improvement in the content. I still use the Classic Mapquest, but they too have a new look and each time I use Mapquest there is a notice at the top of the page that I should try the new version. My online banking is the same way - you just get used to the page, where to make an entry and where to click, and boom! It's all different. No improvement or cleaner look - as far as I can tell no better interface. But by god they are going to make you use it, like it or not!

I make changes in my personal environment all the time, so I'm not opposed to change for change's sake. But I want to make the decision myself and not be forced to use something that is less intuitive to me. I'm sure it is to keep programmers busy and no other reason.

Enuf of that! It's after 1:00 pm and I'm still in my jammies. Ya reckon I ought to get dressed?

8 comments:

  1. Soup looks wonderful! lol... never watched Ghost Hunters... You don't like Dancing With The Stars? love that show...

    Another fun whodunnit is Castle that comes on after DWTS... The British comedies keep me laughing...

    Nah... jammies are too comfortable to get out of

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why change, take the day off! Seine the zucchini out and freeze the soup in single servings when you get tired of it for a day when you are hungry but don't want to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup looks good!
    Why not cap your dog food can, put in zip lock bag, then the cooler?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Carolyn says, Castle is an interesting show. RFDTV and Rural TV are two good channels to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, no, u really don't have to get dressed :) that soup look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree & think television is such a wasteland. Just can't believe all the repetitive garbage. And, when it comes to computers I find it sooooo annoying when they change things under the guise of making things better. Often as not they take something that is looking & operating perfectly fine in the first place and totally ruin it. Happens over & over. It seems the kids always have to go with what's trendy & not what's practical!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hear Hear to The Bayfield Bunch! You've brought up two of my sore spots Gypsy.....the use of such a potentially educational device as TV for nothing but crap. And the constant "improvement" of software programs when there was nothing wrong in the first place. I'm still using Windows XP and I like it fine thank you. And Office 2003, ditto.

    Yummy looking soup, wish I cold drop by and help you eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guess i'll start looking thru that parade,,,lol. That looks yummmmyyyy.
    I don't get dressed til later than that,,robe too comfortable.

    ReplyDelete