Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

From time to time I mention my black lab, Smoky, and I found a picture of him that I thought I would include in today's entry. This looks like it was taken at Newfound Gap in the Smoky Mountains in summer of 2004. Smoky died in the fall of that year and I've never ceased to miss him.


I changed some of the furniture in my living room, switching a couple of items from one side to another, and I'm not happy with the results. That means I need to switch them back, which is time consuming and I hate to move furniture across the floors. I think I have too many pieces of furniture, whereas I prefer less because it makes the space look so much roomier. I'll deal with it when I get back from my trip.

I don't know what to do with all the photographs I have - bags and boxes of them. Now and then I scan some of them, but no way am I disposing of real pictures that I can hold in my hand. The memories seem so much sharper when viewed from a hand-held photograph as opposed to an inanimate computer screen. I know I'm in the minority here, but I will never change on this issue.

One gripe I have lately is that when you run into people they want to show you pictures on their phone screens. I can't take a decent picture with a digital camera because I can't see the screen, and I certainly can't see a picture on a cell phone. That's the way it is with me, and it must be my eyes because most people close to my age seem to be able to do ok with their phone screens.

After a morning of such heavy rains that I thought for sure my house would flood, the sun is shining and the world looks beautiful. It won't last for long as there is endless rain forecasted for the near future, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts and until the next time we get a brief view of gorgeous sunshine.

I took advantage of the weather and drove to Costco to get gas. It was with trepidation that I pulled into the station, as all along the way I saw prices edging $4.40 a gallon. Costco's was $4.14, and I couldn't believe my mileage - 17.96mpg! I can only hope that it will be even better when I can get gasoline without the ethanol added, as well as figuring the highway mileage. I have no idea why this tankful was so good - I don't drive much, but that wouldn't make much of a difference. It was usually around 18mpg in the east, and it wasn't until I hit the ethanol states that it dropped dramatically.

My long awaited AAA Triptik arrived yesterday. It's ok, but I'm a bit disappointed. The format has changed somewhat - the size and overall look of the pages is different. It used to be long skinny pages, with the route running vertically up and down the page. On the back of each page was a good overview of the area and route. Now they have squeezed more miles in on each page - it looks like to me - and they have also left a lot of things out. One example is that all exits used to be indicated. Some were just indicated by a dot, whereas the larger ones might tell you that gas, food, and lodging were available. That didn't mean that some of the dots weren't exits with gas stations though. Now only the major exits are shown - not even a tiny little dot for the others. What if you have a tire that is losing air and want to get off the highway? Or maybe you need to make a phone call and the shoulder is not a safe place to stop along that section. A glance at the old map would let you know approximately how far you needed to drive. And yes, I know that the GPS has all the information a person would ever need, but I can take a quick glance at a triptik easier and safer than I could fool with the GPS.

I looked through all my old maps and found several triptiks for cross country travel that I've saved over the years. I'm taking them along for good measure - they all cover slightly different routes, and I usually end up modifying the route I plan on taking anyway. I'd better take one for the southwest just in case every other part of the country is under snow, but I sure hope I don't have to drop down that far.

One day soon I need to take my portable vacuum cleaner outside and clean the inside of my car. The canvas covers I bought last year to keep the seats clean from the dog have worked pretty well, although they need a good shaking out and vacuuming. I don't think I have an outlet on the outside, so I'll have to run an extension cord from the house. For all the hassle it's going to be, I think that's why I haven't yet done it. I did launder the big fleece throw I fold on top of the canvas.

I think I will go stand in front of the door and just drink in the beautiful day, while it lasts. There are definitely more rain clouds in the distance.

LATER:
I just want to add a note here and hope I catch the readers who have blogs of their own. I decided to check my blogger comments to see if there were spam comments to be deleted. Out of 5 comments, only two were actually spam, and the other 3 were from trusted bloggers. I couldn't read anything at all in any of their comments that would come near to being possible spam. I get each comment that is made in a separate email, so I can usually tell if there is spam. I also read the comments in the email version, and rarely look at the blog for them. So I didn't miss them but anyone who reads the blog would not have seen them. I don't know why blogger chose to throw them into spam, but beware if you write a blog that all comments might not appear.

9 comments:

  1. I have scanned most of our old pictures, but still saved the hard copies. To be honest, I do, in fact enjoy the computer versions more. Maybe because I can adjust the size and improve on the originals and look at so many more.

    But I also could not get rid of the originals either:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my black lab, Lizzie, on New Year's Eve of 2009. I held her in my arms as she closed her eyes for the final time. She was the sweetest dog that ever lived, and I can hardly get her name past my lips without tears. Labs are wonderful dogs.

    Pictures. I saved many in big plastic bins and those taken of our trips, together, are in albums. I have scanned the ones of Rich and Lizzie so I know they are safe should there be a fire or something.

    I like them on the computer because I have them as wall paper and desktop pictures so I see them more than I would if I went to the albums.

    It will be up to my children what they do with them when Jack and I are gone, but I can't dispose of mine, either.

    I agree that Trip Tix have changed and are not nearly as helpful or reliable as they once were. I had a trip planned to Long Island to see family. I told them I had a trailer with propane and they routed me through tunnels and on parkways where propane is not allowed.

    When I called them, they were "horrified", but not as horrified as I would have been if I found myself in a tunnel, on a bridge, or a road that forbids propane or trailers. I couldn't trust them after that, and the trip never materialized anyway, so I think if I do get to go one of these days/years I'll park the trailer in a campground in NJ and ride over in my truck (even at that it's my understanding that they just started letting pick up trucks on some of the parkways).

    Maybe your GPS combined with "Next Exit" would be more helpful to you.
    http://tinyurl.com/7str3gs

    Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smokey was a handsome fella , looks like our Rigg's,From what you have said he had that Lab personality that is hard to beat in any other breed,Rigg's is our second Lab, we had Duke a big yellowlab/huskey mix before him and Duke was the same way. Donna still dry's whenever she see's a picture of Duke.God has been good to us and matched us up with some wonderful dogs in our lifetime, two German Shepherds and now two Labs in a row, Glad I got to see a picture of your smokey, Maybe someday you will get to meet Rigg's. be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smokey was a great looking dog. Glad you posted his picture.

    I've found the same thing you have about the spam comments. Not often though. But sometimes trusted commenters show up there for reasons I can't figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the first time i'm going thru dashboard to filter comments. All because of one person that is mean and never has anything good to say, BBC. I can look at them and decide to publish,,that way he can't ever bother me again. Also can see spam..

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is always that "one dog" in your life. I know. I lost her 9 years ago. When I read the Rainbow Bridge, I tear up with the image of her, trembling when she sees me. (gosh I am choked up typing that!)

    And as to spam, I got a horrible one last week, so I will continue to monitor all my comments and delete him each time he makes his ugly posts!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We live in central Calif, so it's nice to know your in our vicinity.
    Enjoy your blog and am happy your
    going to be taking a trip. Sometimes the planning is half of the fun!
    I'm glad you wrote about comments not being published. I have left
    several on a blog that I dearly love and they don't show them.
    Left me confused.
    Keep up the good posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still miss our beagle, Ginger. We lost her 12 years ago and sometimes it seems like yesterday. Best dog ever. I have boxes and boxes of pictures at the kid's house. It may end up being his problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My most memorable dog was my Scottish Terrier, Haggis. I still miss him. As far as the pictures go, most of my kids have gone through them and my last daughter will do that this weekend. What ever is left goes to my sister. My cousin has already scanned the really old ones that we are still trying to identify and has sent me those on a flash drive.

    ReplyDelete