Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, March 9, 2012

I'm at it again

My daughter mentioned that she would try to get over this weekend and help me paint. I doubt she will be able to do it because of all that demands her attention on weekends, but I wanted to have something ready to paint just in case. Removed more cabinet doors and primered a whole lot! The side door is in really bad shape - the laminate is cheap and the top layer bubbles up all over the door. A big part of the door is a long narrow jalousie window, that doesn't open. I have some extra handles and tried one, but something is missing from the hardware. Maybe Steve will be able to figure it out.

There are a number of windows all over the house that can't be opened. I want to just live with it if I can, because the rest of the year I will be able to do one of three urgent replacements: 1) the windows; 2) the bathtub; and 3) the kitchen sink and countertops. I would be completely satisfied with the house if I could get these accomplished, although no doubt I'll find more things.

Regarding the comments from my blog yesterday - the one about corn sweeteners - I thank each of you who took the time to add your comments. There must be some complaints from the medical profession, no doubt, about corn syrup and hi fructose corn syrup. Last night I heard two different commercials featuring a person purporting to have done a lot of research and found that our bodies can't tell the difference between corn sweeteners and cane sugar - it's all sugar to our bodies. Well duh, we know that, but is there a NEED to add sweeteners to every type of food product sold?

I don't have a problem with sugar as I use very small amounts of organic sugar on my strawberries and in oatmeal (when I eat it). Of course if I bake I use it, and my bread recipe calls for a tbsp of sugar, which I understand is necessary for the yeast to react properly. Since I can mostly control how much added sugar is in my diet, as long as I stay away from processed and packaged foods I'm ok.

One aspect that I think has to be considered is the farmers who raise corn. With all the hunger in parts of the world, most corn goes to feed animals, and much of it goes to the companies producing corn sweeteners. Most of it is genetically modified - GMO.
I know that farming can be extremely difficult, with the unknowns such as weather - too much or too little rain, etc. If farmers didn't grow corn to be used for sweeteners, what else could they grow that would enable them to make a living. I sure don't have the answers, but like Dizzy Dick, I am always wondering about something.

Does anyone know why painting would make a person thirsty? I can't seem to drink enough water when I paint, and it happens every time.

One of the things Jeanne is going to do this weekend is to take her recyclables to a local place that buys them back. I save my cans and bottles for her, as she puts the money received into a savings account for the girls. She hasn't taken the stuff for absolutely ages - in fact the last time we went was when I fell off the tailgate, so it was at least a year ago. My beer cans are adding up, and when I meet her there with my beer cans and wine bottles she had better not make a smart-aleck remark since it's over a year's worth! Of course I can always comment on hers and Donald's marguerita mix!

If you remember yesterday I "washed my car". Well I saw same vehicle in the sunlight today, and I can't describe what a crappy job I did. It looks pretty good in the shade though.

7 comments:

  1. Finally catching up with you. I love all that sugar stuff but it sure doesn't like me. We've been trying to do so much better to keep the blood sugar under control so I'm learning to read the labels a whole lot more than I ever have. Not near as much fun as just eating whatever. Since I don't paint I have no idea why you are so thirsty. But drink lots of water. Beer is okay but water is better when you're really thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record, I worked for the coops in Iowa for all of my working years, and GMO corn DOES NOT HAVE ROUND UP in it like Penny thinks. Some plants are called roundup ready when they are tolerant of the herbicide Round Up. That means that round up can be used on the corn and not kill it. Its genes have been modified to not be killed by the roundup if the farmer uses that as a weed poison.

    As far as mold in Corn, it is checked with black lights for mold spores in the fall of the year as it is harvested. And years that produce any mold at all, will get the entire crop rejected at the coop.

    Where do people get all of this dis information??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just drive the car on cloudy days. Around here this time of year all the cars are yellow because of tree pollen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have a hard time with windows that won't open since I love to have them open evey second I can. If it isn't TOOO hot or TOOOO cold, I've got the windows open. Like right now, it's dark and I love the night sounds.

    You really are giving that house a huge face lift. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea about the savings accounts and recyclable items!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the interior of your place is going to end up on the front cover of, Better Homes & Gardens:)) All that food additive stuff is just so bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The returning of the empties reminds me of when we lived in Puerto Rico. They're not really "up" on recycling, so to speak, since I had to drive our stuff into the city recycling centre. Such a chore.
    And that was the reason why I'd usually have a trunk full of bottles.
    When the young lad who was helping me made a bit of a face over the amount, I just told him we were Canadian. Somehow that made sense to him.
    Oh, and just move the car to the shade. It'll look much better.

    ReplyDelete