Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, December 18, 2010

A loss in the family

I just got word that my brother-in-law passed away at home in Clermont, Florida. He had battled congestive heart failure and at one point was on the list for a heart transplant. That wasn't to be, and my sister took him home from the hospital in Orlando, where he had hospice care.

He was born in Manzanar (Internment Camp) in 1942, and after the war his family sharecropped for a time as their land and all possessions were taken away from them when they were sent to the camp. They were soon able to save enough money to buy land, and after a number of years became the hard working and prosperous farmers they had been before the war. I might mention that every member of his family, as well as extended family, were all U.S. citizens.

Mitsuo met my sister Julie when they both worked for the Sacramento Corps of Engineers, and after their marriage they soon moved east where he worked in Baltimore and she entered nursing school. They were mainstays for me and my children when I moved to Virginia in 1989, and we visited them many weekends.

This picture was probably taken in Cincinnati at the time of my Mom's funeral: L-R Mitsuo, Uncle Joe (my Mom's brother), my brother Rob, and me.



We will all miss him and share in my sister's grief, but I am so glad he isn't suffering any more. He went through a lot trying to stay alive for the transplant, which was not to be.

19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Your sister must be having a hard time - I'll keep you all in my prayers.

    Sir Lance-A-Lot looks very tall without your truck under it. I wondered if you'd leave it like that. Glad to hear it'll be lowered. When and where are you traveling next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences to you and your family, especially your sister. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss, Gypsy,life is so short and it seems to have a way of reminding us all. We are sending our prayers for your sister.Hope you a planning another getaway soon. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always difficult to lose friends & family members & sometimes even more difficult to watch the long suffering involved. Cherish your better day memories of Mitsuo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My condolences to you and your family on the death of your brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending loving thoughts to you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My condolences to you and the family. I have lost a lot of loved ones, including a son, and know what you all are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear of your sister's and your loss. The WWII history of our treatment of Japanese Americans is still shocking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please accept my deepest condolences to you and your sister. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for your loss, Gypsy. It is always harder around the Holidays. Give your sister my best, and tell her she is in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very sorry for your loss, Gypsy but you are right, he is not suffering any longer. Keep his picture in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gypsy, lots of prayers for you and your sister at this time. Sometimes death is such a blessing because the suffering is so hard. Just really tough for those of still left here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sincere sympathy to your sister and family..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Gypsy. So sorry for your loss.

    Take Care

    John and Brenda Brown

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We're so sorry to hear of your loss. May you and your family be comforted by wonderful memories of Mitsuo. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, we are sorry to hear of your loss! I know you wanted to travel to go see him, and now that isn't in the cards. But perhaps you can go be with your sister when she needs you.
    We have your family and you in our prayers!
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  19. Big hugs to you and your family on this sad occasion, Gypsy.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete