Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, December 24, 2010

First of all, I'd like to wish everyone a happy holiday, however and whatever you celebrate.

Thanks to you folks for all the comments to my post about rising blood pressure. I would like to make a comment on the drug store blood pressure machines. My blood pressure was very low all my life, until about 2007. I was waiting on a prescription in a local pharmacy and to while away some time I sat down at the bp machine. I was shocked to find my pressure was so high. On my way home I went into the grocery store across the street and back to their pharmacy to another machine. It gave me the same story.

I then phoned my doctor's office and asked if I could stop in to get my bp taken, and of course they said it would be ok. (My doctor's office was about 4 miles from my house and much easier than getting to my doctor here in Sacramento.) The nurse found my blood pressure to be even higher than the drug store machines had clocked it, and set up an appointment for me to see the doctor first thing the next morning, as she was out of the office when I arrived. So it was the drug store machine that led me to find out my blood pressure was high, and I had no other symptoms that would have alerted me to the fact. If I hadn't sat down at that machine I could have eventually suffered a stroke or heart attack.

This time I have noticed several little things that have made me wonder, and that is why I have made two trips to the Raley's machine. At home I've been using a wrist cuff and the numbers are way low, but I don't trust that it is accurate. I will definitely take the home BP monitor in to the office with me. I have an appointment to see my doctor on January 5, but I'm not waiting until then to go back to my medication. I'm also using the messaging system they have for letting the dr. know in advance.

What really bums me out is that the weight I thought I was gaining will probably turn out to have been a build up of fluid, and will be flushed away within a day or two. I give up on the weight issue.

12 comments:

  1. I'll be curious to see how your home machine matches up with the doctor's office. We have the arm cuff no the wrist cuff at home and it seems to be pretty close to the doctors. Sure glad you stopped to check at the store. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Marty, that high BP runs in our family. Even when I keep in pretty good condition (as you do) I still need meds. Glad you're going to see the doctor. See you next week. Steve (the brother, not the son).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was lucky to discover mine was high since I didn't have a doctor. Stopped at the dentist for a check-up and he had bought a meter for his home use and tried it out on me. Discoveded that it was 220 over 120. I found a doctor the next day who would take me and sure enough, that is what it was, so was put on meds.

    The dentist saved my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you Gypsy, and Lady too! Hope you have a nice day with your family there in Sac!

    Rod and Loyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the BP thing turns out ok...maybe it's the store machine that is off. At any rate....do have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the Doctor can get your BP under control. I hate meds. too, but sometimes they are a good thing. Merry Christmas to you and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gypsy, I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! I've enjoyed reading your blogs this year, and appreciate your comments on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas, Gypsy. I hope your day will be great and that Santa will be good to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas! Hope you have a terrific 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas Gypsy!
    - Mary Ann and William

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep after that blood pressure, Gypsy! We sometimes wonder about the accuracy of the drug store machines and the wrist cuff we use at home. We do take our cuff in with us now and again to have it calibrated, so we are reasonably confident. You are a special person, so take take care of you! Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays, or however you prefer to say and hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are taking good care of yourself and checking it out right away! You are going to be feeling much better and more aware now by taking note of what is going on.

    My dad Lowell was always poopoohing that his dizzy spells and breathlessness was just working too hard. After three days in the hospital now, with blockages, he is finally taking it seriously. Whew!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your bunch!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete