Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Another trip to Buckeye

We drove to Buckeye today, mainly because they have a Verizon store there and I'm having trouble with the charger to my MiFi. It is under warranty but of course I didn't bring any paperwork. The clerk tried it on their charger and suggested the problem is likely to be in my charger and not the MiFi unit itself, and she recommended using my Verizon cell phone charger. I am back now and tried it and at first I didn't think it would work, but it did, and here I am.

I also bought a watchband at Walmart. Mine broke a week or so ago and it drives me crazy to have to look for a cell phone to see what time it is. While at Walmart I also bought an inexpensive wall clock for the camper. The best purchase I made was two small boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda - one to replace what I dumped onto the oven fire, and another for spare.

I scraped almost all the residue from the oven floor, and it took me a long time to clean all the soot from every square centimeter of oven, racks, etc. I have a potato in there right now and so far so good.

My tailbone is still bothering me and the ibuprofen helps from about an hour after I take a pill, and it lasts for a couple of hours. I'm going back to Sacramento earlier than I had planned so I can seek medical help from my own doctor. With all the joking I've done about wishing I had an Rx for something stronger, I feel I really need something stronger for the pain.

I feel fairly confident that I can handle all the systems of the truck camper. I had planned to top off the propane tank today as well as the fuel tank in my truck, but since we didn't even start out until after Noon, and since my energy is usually lagging by 2:00 or 3:00, I didn't want to bother with it. I may go into Salome tomorrow and do the propane thing, and pay a bit extra for diesel, but I will go early.

I'm thinking about taking AZ 95 up around Havasu City and then I-40 into Needles. I'd like to try the stretch of old Rte 66 shortly after Needles, which looks to be about 75 miles. If anyone has done this section of road, and especially if there are any recommended campgrounds or RV parks along that portion of Route 66, please let me know. I hope I can continue to use the Mi-Fi with the cell phone charger until I get back to Sacramento.

I hope everything will work smoothly, but when I think of all the little snags I ran into with the 5th wheel, I know there will be some bumps in the road ahead. I began towing the 5th wheel with very little, if any, instruction on how to do anything. I was given a big 3-ring binder and told I could find all the answers there. A Good Samaritan Hitchhiker owner drove about 250 miles to help me hitch up because the owner didn't know how, and the Good Sam read my posts to a forum asking for help - I was asking for verbal instructions, but this wonderful guy drove all that distance to help me out.

Having learned the hard way about the 5ver, and probably getting more instruction from Dave than my brain can process in this short time, I think I will do OK. There will be glitches, but hey, that's the stuff of blog entries!

9 comments:

  1. So, how is the potato smelling as it cooks...like a real potato or one made out of rubber/plastic skid retarder?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you are heading home early. I hope you have a good trip back home without any problems.

    How is your 4-legged tag-along doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will do fine, I'm sure. Have a good trip back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When are you leaving for Sac?
    I have driven up 95 to Havasu, a beautiful drive. Getting through lake Havasu, lots of traffic. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will make it. Just keep in mind all of us girls out here rooting for you. Glad your going to see your own Doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that potato was absolutely delicious!

    Will you be okay driving - sitting that long? Take it slow and easy and enjoy the drive. I hope everything will be just fine.

    Remember when we were all waiting for you to leave for Arizona? And now you're already planning the drive home. With lots of war stories to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I figure your Lance is a third the size of your 5th wheel therefore you should have a third of the problems you had with the fiver. Your little mini-disasters will make this short trip a memorable one to recount for all the 'Grands' one day:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I injured my tailbone when I was a teenager and it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. So please take care and I'll sure be glad when you see your doc in Sacramento. Have a great trip - stop and get out and walk around as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll do just fine with the Lancer. It's quite a difference from the 5er.

    I broke my tailbone when I was a teen and it still bothers me if I sit too long. I loved the donut in the car when driving maybe that will help.

    ReplyDelete