Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Facebook Woes - 2nd post Mon., 12/20

I just received a security alert from Facebook warning me that my facebook account may have been compromised by cybercriminals trying to impersonate me. These criminals may try to trick my friends into sending money by claiming I'm stuck in a far-away location and need help. I have actually seen this happen to others.

So if any readers get an email supposedly from me asking for money, don't send any. I would never ask for money and hope you would all recognize the scam for what it is.

Additionally, a person with whom I regularly exchange emails recently had problems with mail going out from his account with an attachment attempting to sell sexual aids, enhancements, etc. I have also seen this happen to email accounts of others I know. Because I trust the individuals whose accounts were compromised, I opened the attachment because while the title of the attachment seemed a bit odd, there was no indication that it was sexual in nature, and it was the trust factor that caused me to open it.

It is really a shame that our use of emails, internet, and blogs can cause us grief, especially because this connectivity provides us with a sense of community, friendship and joy. We all need to be aware of what is going on out there and realize it can happen to nearly anyone.

Since my rant about Facebook in an earlier post, I just wanted to let you know this latest turn of events. I wish they would allow me to deactivate and completely close my account though. They have suspended my account at this time, and I hope they never reinstate it.

7 comments:

  1. The best thing to do with Facebook is to get out of it altogether. There are still blogs and genuine emails and writing letters and making phone calls for connectivity. Technology may be fun in some ways but, as you've learned, it make is more fun for scammers and spammers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can get the face book account null and void and finally over with. Neither my wife nor I have ever gone there nor will ever join. Don't even want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eight of us were at dinner last night and this same subject came up. Eric had received an e-mail supposedly from his son but it wasn't. Just ridiculous that we don't have any more protection than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know that all is not gone. I have been on Facebook for about 4 years and have yet to receive my first "bad" experience. Not saying it won't happen but touch wood it has not happened to me so far anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just wanted to respond to your Facebook woes and deactivation problem. I have a Facebook account, so I went into the Help Center this morning. There is a difference in how you 'get rid' of Facebook account. If you just did 'deactivate' it means it keeps all your info; IF you did that it can be returned to by logging in and REactivating, with all info and friends AT A LATER DATE,if you change your mind to resume. However, if you want to DELETE, all the stuff and friends etc will be GONE FOR GOOD. So go to Help Center and concentrate on the Delete instructions, another step is needed to make that happen. If you change your mind later, that delete would require a NEW account and doing all the input stuff again. My son didn't understand it either and had to go back to do the delete. Hackers are probably able to get to anyone, anytime, so keeping an eye on emails with a good feel for the hinkey is essential (plus a good virus program). I understand your frustration so I thought I'd pass along this tip. Love your blog!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hot to worry. The GOV(FCC)just voted to take over the internet and fix it for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had emails sent to from my account with that sex aid attachement. One actually went to my father. Just a little embarrassing. I changed my password and that seemed to do the trick.

    ReplyDelete