Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, March 14, 2010

US Census, 2010

I'm going to write my blog early today, because with the time change and waking up "early" I have the feeling I will be very tired this evening. This should be a nice, warm, sunny day, and I'm certainly ready for one to come along. Maybe the "lake" on one side of my rig will dry up.

I have been wondering and worrying about the upcoming census. I certainly don't think I should be counted in California, and find it is difficult to get information on how snowbirds or RV travelers should participate. I asked my mail forwarding service and was told to use that address, which I plan to do. What do I tell the army of census workers that are going to begin trolling the RV parks during the coming weeks?

What do those of you plan to do who have no home address that you return to? I suppose all the "winter Texans" are still in Texas, but I'd be curious about other South Dakotans or Montanans who will be outside their "home state". Should I mail my census form back to MyDakotaAddress and have them re-mail it from there, or would it matter what city it is postmarked from.

I'm glad the census only occurs once every ten years. The last time or two some folks got the "short form", while others were treated to a "long form" which I would have refused to even answer had I been selected for that one. Fortunately I never got one of those. This census features only 10 questions, and it is my understanding that there are about 3 of the 10 that you absolutely must answer or be subject to the wrath of god and government. I will dutifully answer those three!

7 comments:

  1. Hey, even I got one of those census forms in our mailbox here at the RV Park. I'd even fill it out if I thought I might get something out of it - but, I'd probably just get more trouble and I don't need that. You're probably worrying a bit too much about the address thing, Gypsy, just throw a dart at a map on the wall, use that, send it in and 'fuggedaboutit"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone will get to use your presence in order to gain federal government benefits. What state that is, is your choice. Who do you like? Will it benefit your kids to be Californian for a day? I'm not sure that South Dakota will ever be a state where you might be looking for citizenship benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came to my senses regarding the census & realized that for me it was not to be...:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gypsy - we still have a Montana address even though we only show up in the state for doctor appointments or maybe some fishing for Jim. But that's how I'll handle answering the census - as if I was in Montana. And if they find me out here on the road, I'll just tell them I already filled out the paper one and sent it in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi.... i was surfing around online today looking for blogs about people living and traveling around in RV's. I came across yours.

    I am working at putting a resource site up for RVing and would love to repost some of your blog there.

    The site is www.rvingcentral.com. I'm trying to build up stories, resources all with the aim to provide people inspiration so they take the plunge and live the dream!

    If you feel you'd like to participate, you can email me at info@rvingcentral.com, or just reply to the comment and i should get that.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never filled out or even seen a census in my whole life. Being military is like being fulltime, we're not attached to any state. Just skip it, or use the mail address if you feel you have to answer it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We got the long form last time and it was A BOOk. I refused to fill it out and t hey hounded me for weeks. I told them we would happily fill out the short version, but no on the one they sent.

    Surprisingly we stayed out of jail. LOL j/k - this times we received the short "Who lives in your house". I let the 12 yo fill it out.

    ReplyDelete