Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The housing search is on

I went to look at a studio this morning, beyond Pollock Pines. From the time I got on US 50 Freeway, it was about 54 miles "up the hill". It had snowed there last night, so besides the snow already on the ground there was a fresh layer that had melted off the roads long before I got there. The weather was really pleasant.

The studio is separate from the owner's house, and the living/bedroom area is fairly small, with a really nice size kitchen and bathroom. The big problem would be no good cell phone reception unless I step outside, plus probably really poor internet. There is dish cable for TV, so I would be likely to get a tv and become addicted to that, which I would hate. I would rather be addicted to internet.

There are wonderful places for hiking in the area, and a senior hiking club in Placerville that goes on trips twice a week. That would be something I'd really enjoy.

The owner is a former fulltimer, drove a 37' class A pulling a toad for several years, until she decided she'd had enough. We have a lot in common. She had just made a big pot of soup and invited me in for lunch, so we discussed the apartment and surrounding area over a great lunch. One downside is that I would have to use a laundromat in Pollock Pines, just a few miles away - not really a big problem. The place is in the Sierra Nevada foothills, at about 3500' elevation. That means occasional storms and snow, with the possibility of power outages. I took this picture looking back down the road as I was leaving.


When I left Cal Expo this morning I found a shallow lake under my rig that even spread to the space next door. My water hose connection was dripping steadily and probably had been dripping all night. I couldn't get it any tighter, and I don't know what could be wrong. The drip is coming from the brand new pressure valve I just bought at Wal Mart, probably made in China, although it could be that the valve is not really the problem. I realize I probably need to buy a new water hose, so I stopped at Walmart on the way back and picked up a hose and a couple other items. You know how they have the cashiers in two's? Well someone was in the first cashier's spot, and I put my items on the counter of the second. I waited and waited, then discovered both cashiers were waiting on the woman at the first station - trying to find the cigarettes she was looking for evidently. Two cashiers helping someone with cigarettes, while I stood there cooling my heels. I ended up leaving the items on the counter and pushed my empty cart back to the exit, and I walked out!

I don't know why, but a trip to Walmart is never a good experience for me. What I really don't understand is why I even go back.

6 comments:

  1. I have done the same thing & will do it again at Wally world. It is inevitable. A love/hate relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of the area you investigated shows a beautiful landscape. The low cell phone reception, etc. might be worth the trade off for a wonderful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your picture looks like our neighborhood back in Canada. Now don't go a gettin me homesick now!! Wal-Mart is where I usually go for my monthly people fix. Half an hour in there & I'm out the door heading back into the countryside again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an acquaintance who lived in Pollock Pines. She was quite often complaining about too much snow and too cold. She did not stay too long. Unless you have High Speed Internet I don't think using Skype is enjoyable. Something to think about. I wish you luck with your hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gypsy, you mentioned in your blog that this studio had "dish cable" TV? If you mean it has standard cable and it's not dish satellite, then you should be able to get an broadband Internet service via cable. That would sure be a huge improvement over any wifi service. You wouldn't even have to subscribe to TV if you didn't want to.

    Looks like a nice place, but I'm sure there are probably a lot of nice places if you decide to keep looking around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well at least there are two of us in regard to an aversion to Walmart. The operate on one premise - low price and I am not sure they are lowest on many items that are difficult to find a competitive seller.

    Service is secondary or tenth on the list or maybe on the bottom. Poorly trained employees who in many cases could care less about the customer - just there for the paycheck- not that I blame them. Managed by corporate bandits.

    ReplyDelete