Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, March 18, 2010

A change in lifestyle

I rented an apartment today and am happy as can be about it. It certainly isn't what I had been expecting to do, but when I looked at it I knew I will belong there for a while.

I had been looking out in the Sierra foothills, 50-60 miles out of Sacramento. I had an epiphany of sorts when I thought about how the only reason I wanted to settle in California or New York was to be close to my kids & grandkids, so why was I limiting the time I would be able to spend with them, or the spontaneity of getting together. So I've been searching for two days now and today I found what is for me the perfect place.

I originally wanted to rent a house, but the cost of that in Sacramento was more than I wanted to pay, so I looked at duplexes. Then Steve found an ad on craigslist for an apartment in Fair Oaks - actually there were two apartments for rent. Both were part of the original farmhouse that once stood on the land, and the one I selected has a beamed ceiling in the living room, and a gorgeous tiled kitchen countertop which was from the old farmhouse kitchen. The wood trim throughout the apartment is original, and the kitchen cabinets are original solid wood. Although an apartment complex has been erected on the farm site, it seems to be a very nice and relatively quiet place. It is about 1/2 mile from the Village of Fair Oaks, which is an old fashioned, quaint looking village, but with a good mix of the usual touristy gimmicky shops plus useful businesses for everyday living.

I will be moving in the 1st of April, and I will add that I got an excellent move-in special - one that I didn't even realize I was getting until I filled out the papers needed to take the apt. off the rental list and hold it for me. Although I had my camera with me I neglected to take pictures but will post some soon. Jeannie was on her way home from work when I got the call from the apartment manager, and I was on my way to her house, so we met at the complex and she was able to see it also. The manager left the keys with us and allowed us to look at both places at our leisure.

So, after nearly a year and a half of living in a 5th wheel RV, I will again be in a building. I look forward to a nice relaxing trip to New York this fall, without the stresses I have always had pulling the RV in and out of fueling spots, campgrounds, and city streets. I don't yet know what kind of camper I will get to replace the 5ver, but I'll find something.

Already I am looking forward to joining my kids and their families on a camping trip to Yosemite that they are talking about. I visited Yosemite once years ago and always thought I would like to go back, but never in a thousand years would I do it by myself. So my life will undoubtedly change, but in many ways it will change for the better.

I'll have to think about how I will continue this blog. I want to continue writing it but I know there are folks who want to read about RVing, so I'll just have to consider the frequency and tone it will take.

Thanks to all who have stuck with me and especially those who have offered advice and encouragement. I'm satisfied I've given it a good try, and I am also satisfied that I need to veer onto a different course right now. So stay tuned for the latest on the Gypsy's move.

21 comments:

  1. Bravo, The Gypsy has landed. Good for you & I can feel your excitement & relief all the way over here near Phoenix. Keep up the blog Gypsy because I'm wanting to keep up with how your doing. Been quite awhile now that you & I have been riding this blogger highway together.....:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh please don't give up the blog. It doesn't have to all be about RVing!!! You've made ton of friends here in blogland and we still care about you and what is going on in your life. How would we ever know when Ara graduates?? Or about your kids in NY or CA?

    Congratulations on the apt. find. Sounds like it will be the perfect fit for your new lifestyle. You made a good run of the FT lifestyle and it just wasn't right for you anymore. No harm in that discovery.

    Take care, sweet Gypsy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the apt find Gypsy! It sounds lovely. :) I too hope that you continue your blog. Although I'm a pretty new reader, I've enjoyed your entries and would be sorry to see them end!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep reading no matter what and if I feel the need to read of your RV adventures, I will look back to your archives. Keep on blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gypsy, it sounds as though you have found the perfect place for you. As always, Al said it well: we can feel your excitement and relief.

    Lucky for us - we'll be able to see you next time we are in Sacramento. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! Glad you found such a nice place....close to those you love...and isn't that what life is all about....sharing, caring, and loving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on finding your apartment, Gypsy. I'm hoping that neither of us will have to quit traveling.

    Don't give up blogging, we still want to know where you are and what you're doing even if it isn't a daily thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gypsy, Glad you found your "place" for now. Don't quit blogging. I've come to know you through your writing and want to know about your "new" life whether it includes RVing or now. I'm sure you'll find the perfect rig for you and you'll be back on the road, even for short outings, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I am with the rest Gypsy, don't stop writing, although I know the struggle to keep it interesting when you aren't traveling all the time, I for one would like to keep tabs on ya.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gypsy, it sounds like you've found the perfect place for your new lifestyle. I'm already looking forward to pictures of your new home & definitely want to keep in touch.... so please don't stop writing your blog! Hugs, JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy you're feeling so relieved. Fulltiming isn't for everyone. Best wishes for your newest life! Keep us posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you fond the perfect place Gypsy, congratulations. I hope you'll keep writing your blog as well as I'm sure interesting things will just keep on happening!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on finding a lovely place to land! Isn't it great when you just know it's right?

    And, congratulations on your successful completion of your fulltiming adventures. We are so grateful to you for taking us along for the ride via your blog. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

    We look forward to seeing what's in store for you in the next chapter of life, and hope you'll keep us posted.

    We'll see you this Summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you found a place that gives you comfort and peace. Please keep blogging about all your adventures. I am sure you have many many more to come!


    Karen and Steve
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Gypsy. I am so happy that you found the perfect place for you and that you are happy ! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope this next stage will be satisfying for you; glad you found an apartment you love!

    Please do continue this blog as you will fill a much needed niche: what happens to full timer RVers who give up their keys?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so happy you found a great apartment near family. If you come to Asheville for the rest of your stuff, let us know. I'd still like to meet you in person. I hope you go across to NY in something you can handle, maybe meet you going that direction. What a wonderful experience you've had. Please continue blogging, we'll need to know about how things go for you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gypsy, Congratulations on finding an apartment for both you and Lady. It's important to be around your family but being able to get up and go is important too. I have admired your GRIT this past year. You are a very admirable lady. Hauling the 5ver has had its ups and downs for you I know, but you can say you did it. Please don't stop blogging Gypsy we want to hear about your new adventures whatever they may be. I know you will find the right RV for you, one that is easy to handle out on the road. Stay strong Gypsy and we will catch you on the flip side

    ReplyDelete
  19. After reading all the comments I guess you know that you cannot stop blogging. Too many people would be sad, so there you have it..... stop blogging...No Way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Gypsy, I am so happy for you. Hopefully everyone knows when its time to settle back down..
    Still have hopes of meeting you one day. Perhaps in Ca...
    I would be very sad if you didn't blog. It would be like not hearing from family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do like reading about your RVing... but I like reading about YOU much more! Continue the blog, Gypsy...

    ReplyDelete