Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Searching for Mattress & springs

I looked several places today to find a reasonably priced queen mattress/springs set, but so far didn't find anything I liked. I will be back out tomorrow continuing the search. I did find a clock for the bedside stand - all I wanted was a plain digital clock that I could see in the dark. I'll have to experiment with the placement of this one so I don't wake up quickly and think a space ship is shining red lights in my window! Jeannie and I also got new watch batteries.

I have had a plain old Timex Easy Reader watch for years - I think I paid something like $27 for it, but have replaced the battery and watchband so many times I've probably spent many times that over the years. It still works though, and I'm sure the base price has gone up considerably. I just like an analog wristwatch with good size numbers that I can read easily, and this one has a function where the dial is illuminated when you press the stem. Sometimes I wish I had a fancy watch with an altimeter and compass on it, but I don't really need it.

Jeannie and I first went to Mather Field to walk this morning, and shortly after our first lap around the soccer field we saw my sister (Amy) walking towards us. She had been at it for well over an hour and was ready to rest, so not wanting her to sit there by herself, I joined her on the bench while Jeannie walked. I'm noticing that I have troubles keeping up with Jeannie.

I'll be glad to leave Cal Expo. Last year I was very happy here for three months. This year it is driving me crazy, and it probably wouldn't be so bad if they had given me an end space which I had requested. The big gravel lot is practically empty, but they slapped me right in between two much larger RV's. When one of them leaves they put another in its place. I notice that in several areas of this section - RV's all clumped together with a big expanse of emptiness all around. I guess because of the location of the hookups, the motorhomes pull up farther than I do, so being set back a bit it is very difficult to park my truck. I always like to park perpendicular to the RV, which is what most people do. But I have to angle in or just stick out into the lane. I'm getting so I just don't care how I park. Why couldn't they space us out more. It's a different office staff this year, for sure.

I have a lot of boxes sitting around packed with items from the kitchen, mainly, plus a few in the bedroom. Where in the world did all this stuff come from! It is amazing how much you can cram into the relatively small space of an RV. I just hope I can get it all into my apartment, which has more square feet but less organized storage space. The kitchen is the exception though - I am going to love putting things away in all those cabinets! I hope I love cooking there enough to do more of it.

Yesterday I mentioned blogs on my list that are written by solo female RVers. I would also like to add that of "Eleven Foot RV", and "Traveling with Flo and Rida". Jenny, who writes Eleven Foot RV, hasn't posted for several weeks but she has been away visiting her home town in Tennessee. Trudy, who writes Flo and Rida, began fulltiming shortly before I did but has since returned to be near family and friends in Iowa. Her account of 5th wheeling was very inspirational to me when I was getting started. One point I'd like to make is that if a person or persons feel they want to try it, then study all you can about it but at some point just do it! If you find out a year or so later that it isn't what you thought it would be, or for whatever reason you want to do something else, then just do it! There is no reason why you can't change your mind, your RV, your style, or whatever. Sort of same principal as "Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all." It's better to have tried and quit than to have never tried.

6 comments:

  1. I like your sentiment about giving it a try. How else would we know if we like something if we don't give it a try?

    I hope you find that new mattress you are looking for before you move into the apt. I bet Lady would share her dog bed with you while you keep looking. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the same type of watch that you do. Nothing fancy & easy to read. Big numbers, two hands, & button for illumination in the dark. Nice & simple. You have a lot more patience for that RV Park crowding mentality than I do. I would be totally livid with that set up you have with the other rigs in so close....especially when there is a lot of room in the Park. But, that's typical RV Park mentality!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you might even find that solo fulltiming is your cup of tea! :) I will continue to live on the road until I can't anymore because I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - how can you ever find what makes you happiest if you don't try something new once in awhile. I'm not a solo yet and I can't imagine ever living in a stix and bricks again - but that could all change if Jim should die. The important thing is to enjoy whatever it is you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The battery on my watch died about 5 years ago and I've never bothered to replace it - I don't seem to miss it all either. It's annoying to be packed in like sardines when there is so much space available all around you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a man nearby who re-makes inner spring mattresses in a little fenced area around his covered porch. He has a dog running around in there, too. He rips up the old mattresses, and re-stuffs them with old kapok, or foam, and then puts cleaned used covers on them. We can see the whole process, so I wonder who he sells these to, I would hate to wind up with one. But I wouldn't buy a regular spring mattress anyway.

    My back has stop hurting since I made my own tempurpedic-style mattress with dense foam and memory foam glued on top of it. One thing about foam, it doesn't habor dust mites!

    I hope you find what you are looking for soon.
    Happy Shopping, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete