Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Saturday and I'm already tired!

I'm halfway through my work week. Soon I won't have any workweeks, or else I will be working 7 days a week, every week! I have enough coming up in my future to keep me pretty busy.

Two days ago I ordered an update for the Garmin and paid with a credit card. I just informed Garmin that they can cancel my order and that I will not pay the charge. Their instructions aren't adequate and I haven't been able to download whatever it is I need. I even asked Mary to come over and help me - computer technology is her field - and the two of us were unable to get the update downloaded and installed. I can get by with 2008 maps, but if absolutely necessary it would be easier to just buy a new unit. Come to think of it, I've made WAY MORE cross country trips without a GPS than I've made with one. I have gotten used to relying on a GPS, but I can certainly do without it.

I would like to hear of readers' experiences traveling around Atlanta. I would be approaching Atlanta from the south on I-75 and would then take 285 West and then North to intersect with I-20 West. I'm concerned about traffic on 285, and wonder if there is a time of day when driving on it, much less pulling a 5th wheel, would be the most foolhardy thing I could do. Is there any time of day when traffic should be relatively light? I haven't made up my mind yet about it and would love to hear from someone who knows more about it than I do.

7 comments:

  1. I too have GPS problems with the same one you have. I found out the 2009 update has a bug that won't let the states show up, plus it loses the satellites at different times. I have NOT found the solution so went back to the 2008. As for Atlanta, we haven't pulled a 5er, but Sunday around 10:30 is the only time we've had no trouble getting around from East to West. I hope others have more info. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gypsy,

    We travel through the Atlanta area several times a year from North Carolina to Alabama and back - I-85 to I-20. In the past we mostly used I-85 to 285 to I-20, but lately we've stayed off of 285 and taken I-85 to I-20 and also the reverse in coming home. We find it less tedious that way even though you're going right through town. If you avoid morning or afternoon rush hour, that helps as well, but we've traveled it in rush hour and it's still less stressful even then.

    We have tried a couple of alternative routes avoiding Atlanta all together, but they are so much longer in time and mileage that we've decided they're not worth it.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, we have a fifth wheel also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about trying for mid-day and for the most part taking I-75 directly to I-20. I'm lucky that my iPhone shows traffic so we can check as we approach and make a change to 285 if needed. A lot of local traffic uses 285, makes for a mess most of the time anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetpea and I traveled right through west to east on the interstate at 2:00PM midweek with no issues at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in Atlanta for some years and was just there this weekend. If you must drive that route you want to avoid hours from 6:30 am to 9:30 am and from 3:30 pm until 7:00 pm. I totally disagree with using I-85. The best bet is to take I-75 to I-285 west to I-20 west. It is the shortest and most direct route thru south Atlanta to Alabama. All interstate roads in Atlanta are heavily traveled except at nite hours which you may want to consider. I would suggest exiting I-75 south of Atlanta and heading west more toward the Coumbus GA routes. They are all good roads with light traffic. It may take a somewhat longer but much easier in my opinion. We always travel this way when heading west toward I-20 to Alabama etc. Martin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vehicles with tows and six wheels or over are not allowed to go directly north on I-75 to I-20 intersection in mid Atlanta. You will be subjecting yourself to fines taking this route any time day or nite.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete