Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

No air card yet!

I just checked the tracking number which tells me the package has been delivered to my zipcode. I went over to the Cottage to look in my mailbox at about 3:50 this afternoon (the Cottage closes at 4 pm) and it wasn't in as yet. I'm off tomorrow and will be over there doing my laundry, so I will be eager to see if it arrives.

Carol and I went out this morning with two alternatives in mind: Fort McAllister, or a tour of Mikveh Israel, the oldest synagogue in Georgia, third oldest congregation in the U.S., and dating back to colonial times. It was founded in 1733 by 42 Jewish colonists, mostly of Spanish-Portuguese origin. The synagogue has the oldest Torah in the United States on view as well as a very old one printed on deerskin. All of the Torahs are very beautiful, and our guide let us have an up-close view of the Ark containing the scrolls. One guide showed us the sanctuary and explained various features, while another guide took us on a tour of the museum.

Ever since I saw the synagogue last week on our driving tour of the squares I wanted to take the tour and learn more about its history. Since there was a threat of rain today, Carol left it up to me to decide and generously agreed to forego Ft. McAllister today. I wore my old gym shoes with the thought I might be slogging around in the wet ground of the Fort, and at least once saw our guide glance down at my feet. A few years back I would have felt mortified, but the new and revised (and less up-tight) gypsy decided to laugh it off.

I took several pictures inside the sanctuary of the synagogue and will post a number of photos when I'm operating on my own mobile device and air time. If I can't get connected with it I just don't know what I will do. Can any geeks out there tell me if I just have to switch the SIM card from the old to the new air card, or do I have to do something in the way of initializing it as well.

It is a relief to be on a three-day holiday from work, although I really enjoyed working the past four days. I'm anxious now to get going on my way to California. My middle son and I spoke at length on the phone yesterday about the possibilities of selling my 5th wheel and getting something smaller for part-time travel, as well as various locations I might like for renting a small house. I'd like to stay within a 50 mile radius of Sacramento if possible, and definitely the eastern side towards the higher and cooler elevations. I also want a more countrified area than the city of Sacramento or its large bedroom communities. So I will just have to wait and see how it goes. I'll be down but not out! I think it will be the best of both life-styles for me.

I also have to reiterate that I am trying to read all the blogs in my list, although commenting on any of them is a problem due to the slow loading and processing of the comment form. I just don't want to take a chance on using another person's bandwidth to excess. Mary has been so kind as to make sure it is turned on and available for me to use, so I don't want to abuse that kindness in any way.

As a sweatshirt for sale in the synagogue's gift shop proclaims: Shalom, y'all

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have been pouring some serious thought into making some good logical decisions. Good for you. As much as I would like to fulltime there are still some very big advantages to having a home base & in the end it may be the best of both worlds for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am certain we couldn't go without a sticks and bricks home somewhere. The residency issues would be too hard for us if we only had South Dakota or Texas as a home residence even though we would seldom be there.
    We do wonder if we should move from Kansas, to the Southwest and travel back to the Midwest in the summer, as that would allow us to live in a sticks and bricks during the cooler winter months. Different strokes for different folks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what makes this lifestyle so nice. The flexibility to adjust as the feeling hits you.

    While we don't have a sticks and bricks home we know the importance of having a "home" base. Even if it is to maintain strong friendships and relationships with those in our "home" area.

    We love your blog by the way -- having read it for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure hope your aircard arrives soon, Gypsy, and I'm pretty sure all you have to do is plug in the old sim and you should be good to go!

    ReplyDelete