Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, February 11, 2010

I think it's working

I've had no luck staying connected with the "new" aircard, plus other troubles with the computer have popped up. I thought it might be that I have a slightly different aircard than I should have. I could connect from time to time but lost it before I could do much more than read an email or two, so late this afternoon I opened the little flap on the side of the card, and carefully inserted the antenna. I decided that I will leave the antenna attached - no in and out this time, and no moving the computer. I have the laptop sitting on the dining table but once in a while I like to sprawl on the couch and use it from there. That was my first problem I think - I kept dropping the equipment.

I drove to AAA today and ordered a Triptik for my travels west. I just hope I don't have to make any detours off the plan due to weather. The lady at AAA kept trying to route me through/around Dallas, while I kept patiently explaining to her that through or around is the same thing and it's spelled: t-r-a-f-f-i-c! Gypsy doesn't do Dallas! I just want to get up to I-40 the easiest and quickest way possible, but she has me routed over some state or US highway to Sherman, TX before turning north. I will just do my own thing if I want to, but the triptik pages are very nice to follow, especially on a long trip. I should be receiving it by the end of next week.

I started wrapping the kitchen glassware in towels, and the kids' pictures that are spread across the vanity in the bedroom. I wrapped them in bubble wrap and towels and put them away - the vanity looks so bare now.

Here are some of the photos I took when visiting Mikve Israel Synagogue earlier this week. The Gothic architecture was the prominent style when it was built, and at first you think it looks more like a Christian church or cathedral, but it's not.






You may have wondered what the mounds are for that show up on pictures of the Fort and moat. After taking over the Fort from the Confederates, the Union built these mounds across from the gorge wall, and stored the gunpowder there. It is very substantial inside - as you can see from the pictures. There are several exits, as aerial shots would show. The pics came out to be in reverse order of how I wanted them, but I'm not messing with it to try to fix it.






Lastly, and I don't think I've covered this before, you may wonder what the structure is that is sitting just behind the cannon, and which can be seen when coming across the moat and into the sally port. It is the original cupola from the Cockspur Island lighthouse. It was replaced with one that was more weatherproof, and the old one was placed inside the fort.

7 comments:

  1. Good to see you posting pics again Gypsy. The synagogue pics are terrific as are the ones of the fort. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gypsy - I'm having nothing but trouble with my air card here in Apache Junction (near Phoenix), but I've decided that it's become there are so many people down here using cell phones and computers.

    Love the pictures. I'm excited to hear how your trip west goes. We also try to avoid as much traffic as possible. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pics of the synagogue are wonderful; you did a great job with the photography. Good luck with your trip west. I'll be checking in daily for any new post you offer to see how it's going. Best wishes for you and Lady to have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never do Dallas either & take a northern route from just west of Texarkana across through Sherman to Jacksboro where we pick up highway 380 & leisurely take that all the way to Alamogordo New Mexico. Not everybody's cup of tea but it works for us.

    Great pics Gypsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe travels on your westward trek Gypsie,take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't the "250 miles or 2 pm rule" make for a more pleasant trip? Just reading your cross country traveling tales sounds very stressful to me. I thought there is a lot to see & enjoy between the coasts during the right time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Gypsy Don't Do Dalls" LOL ... that would make a good bumper sticker for ya! hahahahhaha

    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete