Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nearly ready!

I'm closing in on my leave date (this coming Friday) and am frantically trying to get all the jobs done that I've been putting off. I just finished defrosting the fridge, which is nearly the most detested job. Don't ask me why, but I defrosted it after I came home from the grocery!

I just love ticking items off a list, and I've done a lot of that today. Other than the regular things to do before hitching up - fill the fresh tank, empty the waste tanks, clean and put away the hoses, etc., I only have to top off one propane tank and fill up my truck with diesel on Thursday afternoon. I even cleaned the windows inside the truck and armor-all'ed the dashboard, doors, etc. Someone suggested I attach the GPS to the driver's side window and I checked - the wire is long enough. I don't particularly like having it drape across the steering wheel but it will work and I will be able to read everything on the screen much better.

After having made up my mind to go north to Little Rock, somewhere between Jackson and Vicksburg, and pick up I-40W, I checked weather.com for the interstate forecast. On the approximate day I would be getting to Little Rock they are predicting snow showers. That is what drove me south to Arlington TX for a 2-day stay last year. I won't press the panic button yet, but if Little Rock is unsafe for me pulling a 5th wheel, then Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque & Flagstaff will be questionable as well. God bless Texas, I love it, but it's too big and I don't want to drive through it any more than necessary! When I'm on the move two days in any one state is enough!

Meanwhile I will continue to get ready to pull out Friday morning and make up my mind as I'm going across the South Channel of the Savannah River, leaving Cockspur Island. I'd say that if RV'ing does anything for a person, it prevents them from becoming rigid and unbending with the situation and conditions at hand. Flexibility is our motto, but dang, I don't want to be so flexible right now - I just want to get to Sacramento!

12 comments:

  1. I hope you will be able to keep us informed of your progress when you are on the road. By the way, I don't cook the nettles any more. I hate the smell when they cook, smells a bit like pee :-( In the end only Cliff ate them. Yuck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like the cord from the GPS drooping across the steering column so I used a twistum to bundle it and let the bundle sit on the column. I thought that was better.
    You are an inspiration with all you have done. Take it slow and be safe on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog, you are such an inspiration. Have a safe trip. Please keep us posted on your safe travels.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much as I can understand your aversion to 3 or 4 days in Texas, the southern route is probably best. East of Albuquerque and Flagstaff can be brutal if there is a storm. Better to be safe. We'll be watching for your updates.
    Dione from the NuWa Forum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Gypsy, if the weather's bad you just might want to consider coming down through Phoenix and I-10 right to I-5, we have a lot of RV'ers out here who'd like to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for the southern route too! Much less chance of getting caught in bad weather. Have a safe trip, JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea to keep checking the weather reports since things can change quickly. Not to alarm you, but in 1994 we drove West on I-40 and just west of Albuquerque we had some snow showers and our windshield wipers on the MH keep freezing over. Just be careful. Your family (and all of us in blogland) want you to arrive safely, even if it takes another couple of days to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be fun watching your progress. We'll be pulling out early Monday morning. We have snow coming or we'd be out tomorrow. Please be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Texas is wide, but I-10 may prove safer with March storms on the horizon. Besides, maybe we could meet somewhere for lunch as you buzz through San Antonio, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The sun has rose & the sun has set but I ain't across Texas yet" is an old saying - but better a couple extra days across Texas than 1 hour of ice in Flagstaff - I-40 can be brutal this time of year - I would get to I-10 as FAST as possible & enjoy the journey as that's what it's all about. Florida, New Orleans, San Antonio, and Tucson - all beautiful and in bloom ! Whatever you decide be safe & we'll be with you - keep us updated. Happy Trails, Cindy L (Moonfly13)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marty,

    You are a hoot and I just love you and your spirit. Wish I were going on the "ride" with you back home to Sacramento. Safe Home Darlin!I'm headin for the Emerald Isle :)

    ReplyDelete