Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Six-Month Assessment of Full-time Rving

I have covered some of this in previous blogs and it’s a long post, so just skip it if you don’t want to wade through it. Six months isn’t long enough to really become comfortable and/or self-assured after a complete change of lifestyle, so I think of myself as going through a learning process, sometimes very difficult for me.

The Life-Style: I really love it. When I started out from New York to California last December, I knew my eyesight was deteriorating and that I would need cataract surgery very soon. That surgery and the recuperation period required me to “sit tight” for longer than I really wanted to, and the danger in staying in one place too long is that you get too complacent. You know there are adventures out there, but they require effort on your part and you have been practicing effortless living to the extent possible while recovering. I might say that it is probably more difficult for a solo Rver, because everything has to be done by you, as well as the driving, so you just delay the gypsy life for a bit.

I am having a good time right now making lists for things I will need at Lassen for the summer. I don’t know how easy it will be to resupply, or how far I will have to drive for supplies, so my inclination is to get everything I might (or might not) need. If you have been reading my blog all along, you know how I have stressed myself out over which screen tent to buy and which non-electric coffee-maker, but you don’t know all the other little things that have me making countless lists.

Even with the delays and being in one place for a while, I love the idea that I will be traveling soon, and again in the fall. I’m even planning for next year!

The 5th Wheel RV: I really love it. It is spacious and beautiful and comfortable. That said, I have come to realize it is really more space than I need or want, and that I could possibly find comfort and beauty in something smaller and easier to handle. There is simply more maintenance than I can deal with at my age and state in life. I’m not lazy nor am I ignorant, but when you take every little item that goes into the manufacture of this lovely RV and realize that it is much more critical to maintain than, say, the eqivalent item in a stix & brix house, you have yourself a whole lot of work to do. On top of that, some of these are things that I never knew existed much less how to take care of or to repair. Some things I don’t mind learning while others I have no desire to know about. There isn’t anyone reading this who knows everything about everything, so you understand that you try to do your best with your abilities and hope your partner understands the others. No partner? No one to understand or do the things you can’t? But that is my choice and I have to live with it. It just makes it more difficult to stay positive about living in an RV.

I think what I need is to take Willie’s advice and get ON THE ROAD AGAIN. While I will be sitting for a while at Lassen, I hope to be challenged in ways that can help me grow as a person.

The Negative Side: The things I really dislike about an RV after nearly six months, you are probably already aware of. The bedroom overheads!!! The kitchen sink that splashes water everywhere; the lack of usable counter space; the carpet that doesn’t look good and never will; the difficulty in cleaning the outside.

The Things I Thought Would Be Negatives but Aren’t: Storage space is more than adequate. I have loads of space in the basement, although when I am back in Asheville next winter I will probably pick up some items from my rented storage space there. The kitchen cabinets, double closet in the bedroom, under-bed storage, and bedroom drawers are all plenty adequate. Most of these spaces have room for lots more, although I don’t want to try to fill them up. I have enough space that I can consider ripping those bedroom overhead cabinets off the wall and doing without, or taking out the monstrosity of an entertainment center (yeah, I’m still b*tching about that).

Freedom: Since I often grouse about not having anyone to share the work or joys of traveling with, I will close with this statement. I love being wild and free. I was born to be wild and free. I would love to find a compatible gypsy to share my golden years, but the odds are greatly against that happening – I’d probably have more chance of winning the California lottery. So I won’t compromise my freedom to be who I am and do what I want in the manner I want to do it. Everyone needs a little attitude adjustment now and then, including me, and I sometimes overlook the fact that I don’t have anyone to re-attach latches or check the batteries because it’s my choice to be free, but I can come and go where and when I want without consulting or answering to anyone.

Comments to this post are welcome, including negative comments. I’m learning . . .
Also, I might later add something I didn't think of at the time of writing.

5 comments:

  1. Never say never, gypsy. Both Froggi Donna and 2stepr (from chat) have found significant others and are fulltiming together now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post & well said Gypsy. Your temporary gray cloud will soon lift & you will be in sunshine again. It's just life's little way of keeping us on our toes, keeping us sharp, & highlighting the good stuff when it comes our way.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You Go Girl!" Freedom is a precious gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I've said to you several times...you are my inspiration...I think that you are a strong, capable woman...and you are doing something that so many people dream of doing, but don't dare take a chance on...I hope that when I am able to go...that I will be brave enough to do it...whether it's with my husband...or God forbid something happens and I go alone...I hope I have your courage to do it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freedom is something not to take for granted, it's something to cherish. There's people in parks (maybe not Calif) that will help in anything you need done. They say it takes a year to get fully acclimated to the fulltime living. I just hope I can be as able as you are on the road. I'm with the others, don't give up on a mate, you just never know.

    ReplyDelete