Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, May 17, 2009

2nd Post on Sunday

Steve arrived early in the afternoon and we went out to lunch, then drove to see the campsites we have rented for next weekend. He may try to get an additional adjacent site since more people are coming than we first thought. We figured out where everyone would set up their tents, and the sites for my rig and his truck camper. My space has the best spot for the 5th wheel, but isn't exactly the best for tents, so we decided mine would be the gathering spot. Plenty of space for chairs, small tables, screen tents, bbq grills, a big picnic table, etc. We are going to have a great time!

We came back to the RV and he fixed the latches that had come off, checked the batteries and added water (they were all in need of filling), showed me how to work the awning, and did a lot of little things that needed doing. He left the awning out a bit, but not all the way out. I figure I can get it back up myself this way. It really needs to be stretched open and cleaned. We also discussed how I would get the 5ver out of the space on Friday morning to take it to get the new tires installed, and then I will drive directly to the campsite. If I pull forward it might be a problem with low branches brushing against my a/c. He said I could probably do it, but recommended I back out. He showed me where the tires on the 5th wheel should be when I start turning, and at what point I begin to turn the truck. I should write it down so I won't forget it during the coming week. I think I'll manage ok. I need a success in backing it up, and then I'm convinced I'll have the confidence I need to do it over and over again.

Steve hasn't had time to read my blog lately, so I mentioned the idea I had about traveling from Red Bluff over CA 36 towards Eureka. He didn't even let me finish before he said "NO, DON'T DO IT!" Just about the same words written to me by Big Al of the Bayfield Bunch! Steve has always loved camping, rock & mountain climbing, and the outdoors in general, and is always looking to take off on a less traveled road. I think he has been over every road from the valley to the coast in the state.

I lived and worked in Sacramento from 1983 to 1989, and then PCS'd to headquarters in Washington, DC. (That's permanent change of station, to non military folks). My husband and I separated at that time, and Steve who was about 14 yrs old at the time, drove with me in my car while two other kids flew to Baltimore and stayed with my sister until we arrived. (My oldest, Mike, was just starting college in Sac and stayed with his dad until he transferred to George Washington Univ. in DC two years later.) Steve was the perfect traveling partner, even back then. Driving through Nebraska we would drive a little on I-80 and then get off and drive for a while on one of the parallel farm roads. You see so much more of what a state looks like when you get away from the interstate. We took 6 days for the trip and enjoyed every mile of it.

It is now getting close to 9 pm and I've turned the A/C off and opened the windows. It is really getting stuffy in here - I'm sure it got up to, or maybe past 105 today. Tomorrow will be another hot one and then I hope it cools down a bit. I will be busy all week getting the rig ready to move, propane tanks filled, etc. I'll have a week after the camping trip until I leave for Lassen, and after this trip the use of the generator will no longer be an unknown for me, as there are no hookups at the campgrounds and I'll have to use the genny. There is a water spigot nearby in case of dire necessity, and a dump station on the way out, although my tanks are large enough to see me through the weekend. We will be close to the showers and restrooms, and I'm hoping most everyone opts for the public showers. I don't want to explain why you can't take 20 minute showers in an RV, especially if there are several people using them. (The two pregnant women can do anything they want, however.) I'll have enough to deal with the use of the toilet - by my little granddaughter Autumn, who is 2-1/2 and absolutely fascinated with the pedal flush. This is going to be a wonderful opportunity for me to test things before I really need them. It's a good thing I was just about forced to use the A/C today and I know that it works very well. All in all things are looking up and I hope it continues.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like it's all going uphill now. It can only get better for the next six months on the road. It's great following your achievements. I can't wait for the posts for next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time our granddaughter was in our rig she used a whole roll of toilet paper. The indicator for the black tank hasn't worked right since! It's hard telling a 4 year old that all that toilet paper use isn't good for an RV toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Marty!
    Everyone is right to warn you about that drive to the coast. If you'll remember, Michael and I camped at Lake Shasta in the summer of '82, and then drove to Eureka before heading north to Cresent City. Mike's memory is probably clearer than mine, but I remember a road that had switchbacks back and forth going up over a mountain crest and then back down, and then back up and down two or three more times before we finally saw the ocean. It wasn't much fun in a little Toyota, so I can't imagine how bad it would be towing a 5er with a dualie pickup, unless you want your forearms to look like Popeye's! We just got back from a quick weekend trip to Half Moon Bay (about a 45-50 minute drive from Livermore) and the weather was great while we were there. It started to heat up when we got back to Livermore (105!). I wish we could make it up with all of you for this next one, but there are just too many things going on at the moment. Have fun!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely can't imagine the temperatures you are telling of! Here in the far northern part of NY we may have a few 90° days but that's it. Usually tops out at 85 or so. I don't envy you that heat. Have a great camping weekend!

    ReplyDelete