Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Just get with the program, Gypsy!!!

It looks like another beautiful day coming up and I should be thinking about how I can use it wisely. There are a number of little jobs that need doing that I've been avoiding. I have nice oak cabinets everywhere that stay tightly shut, great for when we're moving. So far I've never had a problem with a cabinet door coming open in transit. But one by one the catch that the door latch fits into is coming loose so that the screws are falling out entirely, and can't just be screwed back in. I have a hard time figuring out why, but wonder if it's possibly to do with the very dry weather causing the wood to shrink and the screws fall out. (I think this makes sense - with a little more humidity the wood expands around the screw, holding it more tightly.) I bought a bottle of wood glue and planned to fill the holes with glue and when it's dry to re-screw the latches back on, but I can't figure out how to force the glue into those tiny screw holes.

To make matters worse, two of the cabinets are overheads which will make it more difficult to work with. The doors on both swing up so I will need to hold them open somehow while I do the repair work. I am so frustrated with this problem that I will just put it off, which I've been doing for a month and a half - okay if I'm not going anywhere - although probably more of them will fail before long.

Then there is the cleaning of the outside that I need to get back to. I think if I went back six months in time, knowing the little things that constantly pop up and need attention, I would have opted for something very simple - maybe a small travel trailer (Scamp, Casita, etc.) or better yet, a pop-up tent camper. The living space in the fiver is great, but more small things are apt to go wrong than in a stix & brix house in my opinion. Those of you who have been with me from the beginning when I made the decision to sell my house, will remember that I did so because I could no longer handle the maintenance. That was mostly outdoor maintenance, as I lived on the side of a mountain with literally hundreds of trees blowing their leaves and dropping their branches all around. Don't misunderstand, I would not go back and I love the traveling life, but I'm beginning to realize I bought more RV than I need for one thing. More RV means more things to take care of and to go wrong. This place is like a miniature house, and I guess I didn't want a miniature house, just an adequate space to travel and live in.

I'll deal with it of course, but I think it's something I've suspected all along and am now just getting around to admitting and saying out loud.

You see how clever I am - sitting here whining about the situation thereby putting off doing anything about it!

4 comments:

  1. Sis,

    You don't need glue to fix the loosening screws (you may want to take them out some day!). Just take a wooden matchstick or a couple of toothpicks, and jam them into the screw hole. Break them off flush with the surface, then screw the screws back into the holes. This should hold them in place just fine. I actually saw this on an RV show on tv, and it works, I've done it myself!

    Take care. We've actually got a free weekend coming up, and are spending it at Half Moon Bay State Beach and Campground! I've seen upper 70s/lower 80s forcasted for Saturday and Sunday. Where's the sunscreen?

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was all set to write to you about the matchstick/toothpick trick, and now I see I don't have to. Works GREAT!

    BTW, you are absolutely right about the (lack of) humidity being the culprit. When we travel east, our cabinet doors have a difficult time closing (because they swell up); when we travel in the arid climates, we have gaps between the cabinet doors and latches loosen up.

    I'm not sure there is MORE maintenance to do in an RV than a house - but it definitely can't be ignored like you can in a house. In our house, the back porch light failed: I ignored it. I knew I had dryrot in a corner of the roof: I ignored it. I had a leak under the sink: I stuck a bowl under it and emptied it out every so often. If you have leaks in the pipes under the house, you never notice because you don't see under there; in the RV, you see that puddle creeping out under the rig.

    Maintenance on an RV can't be ignored - you are risking either your safety or your comfort! I agree completely that you should get the smallest, simplest rig that meets your needs for security and comfort. For me, RV'ing is about FREEDOM - including freedom from maintaining more than you need.

    Safe travels,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a nice Class C might be to your liking. Definately easier to clean, especially the cab. For a person traveling alone I've always thought they were the perfect ticket. We've had a couple of them but they were too small for us. You can have a Class C & still tow a small car. Best of both worlds:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've heard this from others that went with a bigger rig. A friend of mine has a 22' motorhome. She loves it. She has one dog. The MH has a slideout and when I was in it I was amazed at the space she had. She says it's easy to maneuver in traffic and especially in "back-in" situations. I think when i make the jump from home to camper I'll be looking for something like that. Then get a little toad for day trips. Good luck as you deal with your cabinet doors!

    ReplyDelete