Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, August 20, 2018

I can't turn my back for a minute!

Rocky's latest trick was to chew off the end of the cord on my computer charger.  I thought it was ruined and threw it away, but Donald said he would fix it and he did.  He spliced the two ends and wrapped them in electrical tape, so I have a working charger again, and can safely use my computer.  We also ordered a new battery which I hope will help my aging computer live a few more years!  The main reason I don't want to buy a new computer is that I know everything will be changed, and it will be completely foreign to me - I don't want anything new - I just want what I use to work properly.  I have plenty of "new" in my life with the "new" puppy!

Speaking of the puppy, he gets cuter by the minute, but also more aggravating by the minute.  Can't turn my back on him for a second!

I can't remember if I mentioned it, but Steve is going to move the rocks from my back yard to the side of the house, and plant grass in the back so Rocky will have a decent play area.  I don't want him to grow up only being on pavement and blacktop.  We have to wait for the weather to cool a bit (and I can save the money - maybe get a nice backyard furniture set plus a canopy.  I don't have room for much, but it would be fun to have something nice and comfortable.

Rocky is snoozing so I'd better get a snooze in as well while I can.

9 comments:

  1. Puppies just are so curious and get into everything to see what it's all about. Keeps you on your toes. Just look at that cute face and all is forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puppies are soooo much work, especially "mouthy" ones like Labs and Goldens. You need to seriously baby-proof your house, as you're finding out, because he can chew through an electrical cord and get shocked! I even had a Golden puppy chew through the middle (the flat middle) section of a kitchen cabinet door. He must have gnawed on it like a beaver. One solution is to try to spray or wipe on something nasty like "Bitter Apple" on things that you don't want chewed -- you can get it at pet stores or pet depts. Another solution, for when you want a bit of a break, is to get a section of what's called an X-pen (exercise pen). You'll need a metal one that is taller than 36", you put it in a hexagon shape in the middle of a room that has nothing in it that he can destroy....Will keep him confined like a baby play pen. Also - warning -- don't leave him alone with any sort of chewable toy or chew bone. You need to be able to see him if he chews off a piece and chokes on it! Finally -- we all want to see pictures of Rocky! Please. Give him hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'm going to get the "Bitter Apple" as soon as I can get to the pet store. I hasn't been too bad on the furniture so far, although I can see him wanting to nibble. I'm with him almost all the time as he follows me around - even to the bathroom! The electric cords are the biggest worry though, especially the lamps and the fan when they are plugged in and running. Otherwise, I "hang" the cord where he can't reach it. I will try to get some pictures soon. It's not easy to take a picture of an all black dog, but I'll try in different lights.

      Delete
  3. Good that Donald was able to fix your cord. I don't know if I could survive puppy time at all. Your so brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I was so much brave as I was naive, as well as forgetful. When I last had a puppy I had a son living in my condo as well as my 2nd husband who really helped with getting him outdoors and exercising him. Now it's just me. I will be glad when I can take him into the dog park - as much as I dislike it for a number of reasons, it will help him socialize and get some exercise. There are just too many dogs at one time in such a small space.

      Delete
  4. Puppies have so much energy! Is there a nearby park besides the dog park where you live where you can walk him and tire him out? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hot that he wants to come back inside. I'm going to a pet training class this evening - for the owners only tonight, then 6 wks with the puppy.

      Delete
  5. I remember the puppy stage very well. We had several pairs of beagle puppies at various times and they chewed everything including the runners of two antique oak rocking chairs. I was furious with those cuties.

    ReplyDelete