Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Good days ahead!

I just wanted to comment on the class I went to a couple of nights ago, which is recommended for those who have enrolled their puppies in obedience classes.

I can't believe how interesting and informative it was, and I learned some things to cut down on the biting  - that was the most important thing to me.  When he starts to grab my hand or fingers or whatever, I simple stand and turn my head away.  When I do this he stopped his biting immediately, and has really cut down on it since.  He may try it now and then, but at least it's not constant.  Maybe it will give me time for my wounds to heal  :-)

Jeannie took Rocky and me to the pet store (I've spent a ton there already!) and I bought the items recommended for his upcoming classes, including a clicker.  I never thought I would use one of those, and while Jeannie is really good at it, I'm a little slow and forget exactly when to use it in the sequence of things.  I will work on it (puppy parents probably need more training than the dog!) and hope I can get through the class.  They are still trying to figure out a way to get us into a class before the middle of September.  Meanwhile I think I have a more confident attitude and Rocky must be picking up on it.

The house training is coming along slowly.  It's still me that is the prime trainee - I don't think he has a clue about it!  But we will get there, as we both get to know and trust each other completely.

I will try to post some photos soon.  He almost moves too quickly to get a decent picture!

17 comments:

  1. So glad you're making progress. You've already come a long ways. Keep it up girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been more difficult than I had remembered from past dogs I had.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He will be a "good dog" one of these days. Right now he's a typical puppy, but a "good one" at that.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm just so glad you're still going to post about your adventures with Rocky! Despite the un-called for comment by 1 of your readers. You're making progress and the class you went to sounds like the instructor(s) really knows the proper methods. And, yes, it is harder to "train" the owner/handler than the dog. Once you get it -- and you will -- Rocky will get it. You're going to have a great dog in a little bit.... remember, he's still a baby and needs to learn what's expected of him. If he were a wild dog and still living in his pack, the adults around him would be really tough on him until he learned proper behavior! Probably tougher than you will ever be. Please keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your observation about the adult dogs keeping puppies in line. I've seen that, including when the biting gets out of hand. He's learning and I'll keep trying to help him.

      Delete
  4. I just laugh thinking of that black ball of fur tearing around your house and the joy he brings. Looking forward to some more pictures. I never get tired of looking at puppies and old dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does exactly that - tear around the house looking for trouble to get into! But like a child, when he's sleeping he is a perfect angel!

      Delete
  5. So glad that you're back, I love your puppy stories. A new puppy isn't for everyone and a rescue isn't for everyone. You have a little bundle of black fur with lots of love to give, in his own way, the trials you have now will be forgot in a few short months. Have fun and enjoy the puppy breath. Becki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your reply, and especially the "rescue vs pedigree (or purchased) dog". I've stated my reasons for wanting a pure-bred dog this time, after a lifetime of rescues, and I stick by my choice. He is a really sweet and incredibly smart little boy!

      Delete
  6. Puppy teeth are like little knives aren't they?!?! The turning away sounds like a great technique - let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it usually works. The puppy teeth are exactly like knives, and I have the cuts all over me to prove it. But if I walk away from him he stops most of the time. I can just see the little wheels turning in his head - "let's see, what can I do now to get her riled up!"

      Delete
  7. Great to see your post. Those classes you are taking sound like they are worthwhile. It should not take too long for doggie to get the hang of it (or you 😁) hopefully no more chewed cords.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think his chewing stage is even close to an end, but I'm keeping my eye on him as much as possible.

      Delete
  8. It takes lots of time to train a pup. Have patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, evidently I forgot that fact when I got a young puppy. So far he's worth every minute of it, but I'll be glad when he begins to mature.

      Delete