Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Foxes!

Justin has been telling me that he sees foxes in the back yard and up the hill, but until now I never could see them.  Evidently a mama and 4 kits are living near Mike's shed in the back and yesterday I was enthralled watching them.  Although they look furry which makes them look larger, they are babies still.  They hop rather than run or walk, and remind me of puppies.  Yesterday one of them climbed up a small hill of dirt and rocks and tumbled back down, head over heels.  This morning two of them were play fighting, just like little boys!

I had the zoom out as far as it would go on my camera, and then had to crop pictures to enlarge the animals.  The results are blurry, but you can at least see what they look like.  Click to enlarge.





In the above photo the mama and one of the babes are drinking from a drainage pipe on the edge of the property.

I will be taking pictures of these beautiful creatures in the next few days and you can look for more of them!

I went out for a short while yesterday thinking I was avoiding the traffic tie-up expected from a funeral procession.  A firefighter from Poughkeepsie died in the line of duty, and traffic was much delayed past the funeral home on Sunday for the wake; then yesterday they took him back to Poughkeepsie for burial.  I ended up being re-routed but I got home with no problems - just a few extra miles out of the way.

I just love New Yorkers!  At the grocery yesterday I talked briefly with an elderly woman (probably about my age) and the conversation turned to food.  She said flatly, "I don't cook!"  I replied that while I cooked for myself, I only made dishes that were quick and easy, no more than 20 min. preparation time.  In a heavy New York accent she told me again, "I don't cook.  I go out to other people's houses and let them cook.  Take 'em flowers and they send you home with food!"   You probably had to be there but I chuckled all afternoon when I thought about it.
 

7 comments:

  1. Those are healthy looking foxes. Maybe they have been feeding on all the neighborhood cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they beautiful!!! How fun to have them in the back yard. I like your new friend's idea. Take flowers and they cook. Not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because it is so far afield from my own feelings, I'm always surprised to read about people that don't like to cook. I LOVE to cook, and one of my greatest fears is that I will become incapacitated and need to rely on others for my food. ARGH! Even a day trip usually involves a picnic basket and/or a vacuum bottle or two! ;->

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky to be able to watch them, they can be elusive:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope cute they are and what a wonderful place for your grandson's to grow up. The little lady made me laugh too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is exciting. Foxes in your yard in the suburbs. I wonder what will happen to them with so many cars all around. Love the story about "I don't cook". She's definitely got it worked out. But I'll bet she doesn't have Donald's cooking.

    ReplyDelete