Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Day 1 - Nevada

Sacramento to Ely, NV:  445 miles;   9 hrs.

On Wednesday I realized I had no TV or internet connection - I mistakenly asked AT&T to turn it off on Apr. 1 rather than Apr. 2.  No TV and no internet is hard to deal with when you are used to them - mostly the internet.

I had decided to wait until Sunday or the day after, letting the spring breakers move out of the way, but I left this morning as originally planned.  I had no traffic going east, and relatively little oncoming traffic.  It was amazing!  There were a lot of folks out at Lake Tahoe but I drove through there with no problems, and then had the same experience on US50 through Nevada.  Any traffic to be seen was going in the opposite direction.  Still, I drove a lot miles and I'm really tired.  I'll experience an hour time change 1st thing tomorrow so I'll try to get to sleep early. 

I had thought I might camp in the National Forest, but the weather is just too cold and windy in Nevada and I'm choosing the comfort of sleeping inside tonight.  Maybe tomorrow - I hope it's a bit warmer but you just never know and this is almost a month early for great weather.   

It makes me wish I had a teardrop camper, until I see the nice bathroom and beautiful shower in my motel room.   I asked for a room on the first floor and they gave me a handicapped room with a huge shower!  

Tomorrow I'll have between 2 and 3 hours of Nevada, and then into Utah.  I hope to write from Utah tomorrow unless, of course, I am camping.


9 comments:

  1. You are making good time. Just don't get into too big of a hurry and don't forget to smell the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy yourself and the sights! Oh...and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to be out traveling again. There's a lot to be said for the comforts of a nice big shower & comfy bed. Even if I was traveling alone I think at this age & stage of the game I would find one of those teardrop trailers too small as well. Comforts are priority now. Safe travels & as Dizzy-Dick says, "don't get into too big of a hurry and don't forget to smell the flowers".

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are solely relying on WiFi for your internet, I don't think you'll have any in Dinosaur. At this time of the year, I also think you'll have to stay in a motel. Too cold at the campground if it's even open. I'll be interested to hear if the grand wall of bones is open again. The summer I volunteered there, it was closed to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard it was really cold in Ely on another blog but she has a nice heater in her RV. You sure put a lot of miles under you belt today. I don't think I would ever drive that many hours in one day. Take slow and enjoy the scenery . Be Safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been without internet for over a week and it's been really rough. We really enjoyed the train ride in Ely. I couldn't get in and out of a teardrop any more. Sometimes a motel room is the best way to do it. Safe travels and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see you on the road again. Glad the traffic has been no problem. I wondered about the temperatures this time of year where you are going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice start to your trip. Enjoy the beautiful sights in Utah.

    arlonHboozer.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting caught up on your blog. Wow, you drove a lot of miles the first day.

    I never even knew there were handicap hotel rooms until I had to take my mother to San Angelo, Texas. I just loved them! Enjoy your big shower :)

    ReplyDelete