Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, April 6, 2015

On the road again

I was all set to go to the Badlands, however, as was pointed out to me, the weather wasn't looking good.  I had my heart set on stopping at Wounded Knee Massacre Site, to the Badlands, and even to the Wall Drug Store.  But I hope the weather will be kinder on the way back.

Traveled through Nebraska today - the morning started out with brilliant sunshine, that lasted all of a half-hour.  The clouds were heavy and dark, and low lying.  There was mist on the windshield on and off until I drove around Omaha and then I needed the intermittent wipers.  I reached Omaha early enough to miss the commute traffic, and if I waited over until morning then I would either get a later start or hit the morning commute.  I chose to drive around Omaha and into Iowa, where I'm at a motel about 30 miles in.  

The lady who checked me into the motel said she's heard of tornado warnings in this part of the country.

When I used to travel between North Carolina and California during the winter every year, I watched the weather reports closely, and usually found a 3 or 4 day clearing when I could travel.  Sometimes I was less than a day ahead of really bad weather.  Now it scares me because in the cold, I have no snow tires or 4WD.  So I opted to make a break for NY and hope I don't run into the terrible weather predicted for this part of the country, from Texas up to Minnesota.

This is going to be a short post because the internet connection is terrible.  I hope to check in tomorrow.


7 comments:

  1. Good luck on the weather for your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do fine - even though the area of risk is widespread the path of an actual tornado is only a few miles - odds are in your favor - watch the sky (especially Wed and Thur ) most Tornadoes hit between 3:00 pm and 7:00 pm - All of your readers are with you and I'm sure you will be safe - You remind me of Smokey and the Bandit "East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'" !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you will be just fine you have done this many times before. Stay safe and positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a brave woman. My admiration of you. It always unnerved me when traveling alone those many years ago.

    "George"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are doing amazingly well so far in your travels. You are a brave soul indeed tackling this long perilous journey across the country on your own. Long trips like this do not get easier with age & you are an inspiration to many other folks out here including myself. Keep up the good driving & don't let those Chicagoans push you around in the morning. Just get in there & show em who's Boss:))

    ReplyDelete