Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, April 3, 2015

Vernal, Utah

Left Ely, NV at 8 am; ar. Vernal 4 pm
440 miles

I'm not sure why but the maps as well as Mapquest made me think this would be a 350 mile day.  I'm glad to be at rest for the day.

Eastern Nevada is gorgeous although the hairpin curves through the mountains can be treacherous; but they give way to long straight stretches of road, and then more mountains.

Western Utah is flat and busy, with I-15 running south to north.  Then once I left Provo the terrain changed and it is beautiful as well.  I couldn't pull over to take the best photos, so I hope the ones I took are worthy of posting.

The first two were blank and I think I tried to take them in NV.  The rest are on from high in the mountains along US 40 in Utah.  The pictures don't really capture the beauty.  I think the white areas in the lake are thin ice.  The wind was blowing and it was chilly, even with my winter jacket on.

Click on a picture to enlarge.







I went to sleep last night at 8pm and woke up this morning at 6, so I had enough sleep.  The drive is taking a lot out of me, and I can't imagine how I'll feel after day 8!

Please don't anyone else tell me to stop and smell the roses.   It's the wrong time of year, for one thing.  Many attractions are not open for another month, and I'm considering making it a straight shot after the Badlands in SD.  Straight across I-80!

After ambling along through Nevada today I was routed for a few miles from Delta to Provo on I-15.  The speed limit is 80!  As you get closer to SLC it drops to 75, but I'm not going to drive anywhere near 80, for one thing it would sure shoot a hole in the overall mileage.  That's one thing I dislike about interstates - the speed limit and the truck traffic, although they are a heckuva lot for polite and thoughtful than some of the drivers of cars and SUV's.

I'm looking forward to the dinosaurs tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. We never drive the speed limit on interstates. We stay in the right lane and drive our gas mileage increasing 55 mph. They can all pass us. That's just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to believe that it's still so cold just a state north of here when it's so hot down here. I hate the truck traffic on the interstates and I'm going to try and plan our trip north hopefully not on too much interstate. But sometimes there's just no other way to get somewhere. Have fun with the dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures made me cold but they are beautiful. Your driving some really long hours but I guess if there isn't much to see you just seem to push on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! Ugh, I-80, nothing but wind and semis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you are really "On the Road Again" I hope you still enjoy the trip. Don't get too cold. Not much camping I guess but probably more on the way back in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pictures but it sure looks cold! Bundle up.

    ReplyDelete