Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Driving in Circles

What a day this has been.  I made plans to be at Jeannie's house, no more than 15 minutes away, by 9:00 am.  She was making some delicious coffee, and as I've said, it is always better when sharing with another person.

I hit the first roadblock at the last street before crossing the American River, about a mile from my house.  I saw a lot of runners and walkers, and one had a T-shirt that had something about "Children" written on it - I thought it might be a fund raiser to give Christmas presents or dinner to needy children.

I couldn't find any way to get across the bridge and after driving in circles, decided to take the 50 freeway past the area of Jeannie's house, to the Watt Avenue bridge - about 10 miles.  I won't go into all the details, but suffice it to say I drove in more circles, turned this way and that, but I just couldn't get to Fair Oaks Avenue which is where the Run was taking place.  The police weren't letting anyone drive on Fair Oaks, nor were they allowing anyone to cross it.  I ended up driving back east and going an exit further than the turnoff to where I started, and was able to cross the river and drive a long way around to Jeannie's.  All of this turned a 15 minute drive into 2-1/2 hours.  I had called to alert my daughter of what was happening, so she waited until I arrived to brew the coffee.

Later we did a bit of shopping and then went to the Kaiser (hospital) where she was to have a stress test.  I told her to not worry - that girl can walk much faster and further than I can, she can run, and works out much more strenuously than I do.  She said the technicians only took her up to where her heart reached a certain rate, and then had her stop.  They also raved about what good shape she's in.  The first stress test I ever had they had me on the treadmill and then left the room.  I should have stopped, but I was in pretty good shape then and wanted to prove it.  By the time I stopped I could hardly get my breath and I couldn't move.  The techs said only one man had gone further on it than I had - 26 minutes.  I remember it kept going faster and upwards every few minutes or so, and I thought I might have killed myself.  The last time I had that test the techs stopped me when my heart reached the optimum rate.  I have called a moratorium on medical tests of any kind, except for a blood test now and then.

I did take a Tums in the middle of all the traffic and trying to find a way to my daughter's house, but other than that I've been just fine.  I think I will only need one every now and then.  I've just had a bowl of soup, and I'll see how it goes.

I am really enjoying Ed Abbey's "Desert Solitaire".  It brings back the eagerness to see the desert southwest that I had when I read it the first time.

It's ridiculous how early I've been going to bed at night.  I'm drowsy now and could take a nap, but then I'd be up all night.  It's just after 6 pm!


  1. My goodness that would have shot my blood pressure right up. It was nice of Jeannie to wait for you until she brewed the coffee.

    I have never had a stress test and from what I read, I hope to never have one.

    You do not know how lucky you are to be able to sleep, take it from an insomniac.

  2. That was some trip you took this morning.
    We have the Tour de Tucson here and when that is going on I don't leave my house. Your never know what route they will be taking from 1 yr to the next. I sure hope that coffee was worth the 2 1/2 hr drive.

  3. It's true that when they block things off for a race they never seem to give you some detour route. That was a real challenge you had to get to that coffee. I know what you mean about being tired so early at night. I am really starting to hate this aging business, especially the difficult sleeping. I don't remember having to do the prove you aren't a robot thing on your blog before. Is this something new?