Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sugar High

Today I bought my last Entenmann's Butter French Crumb Coffee-cake, or at least I hope so.  I rarely get them but when I'm in NY my oldest grandson and I have coffee-cake together in the morning.  I tell him he has to eat something healthy first, so he's been having strawberries.

Yesterday I fixed the last of the strawberries for my own breakfast and I snuck some sugar on them.  When he agreed to eat some I let him have half of mine, and later on I bought another box.  This morning I asked him if he wanted strawberries and he replied "With sugar".  Oh Lord, what have I started.  The sugar isn't all that bad in my opinion because I only use a smidgen, but the high fructose corn syrup used in just about anything sweet from the grocery is deadly!  I haven't been able to find the pop tarts I sometimes buy that are sweetened with pomegranite juice, and I've been able to stay away from the Kellog's brand.  After eating the natural ones I find the Kellogs to be sickening sweet.

I've been looking at You Tube videos showing the set up of tents that fit over the hatch of an SUV.  They look really nice but I'm having a bit of difficulty accepting the additional set up time that would be required.  I probably need to just be happy with what I have, especially since I'll be facing some preventive maintenance on my Highlander when I get to CA.  That, and I'll need servicing on my furnace as well as the swamp cooler, although I may wait until early spring for the cooler.

I think we will be leaving NY on Monday morning of the 16th, as the birthday celebration for family is on Sun., 9/16.  I shouldn't worry about driving in the dark since I won't be doing the driving, but I think I'd be nervous even riding in the dark in the traffic we're sure to run into.  I've been sneaking some preview looks at the maps and info I've gathered for the return trip.  I'm looking forward to traveling again, and then I'm not.  It's a long, often lonely road.

8 comments:

  1. I am sure you are eager to start traveling again. The blog is called "On The Road Again", isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well old gal, we only go round one time....gimme another spoon of sugar on my strawberrys. If'n you was to see me prepare a cup of coffee, you would have a hissy....damn I like my sugar. And donuts...pancakes piled high with a ton of butter, strawberry preserves an' a little "whatever" syrup. Yee Haw....get all hyped up just think'n bout it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother always bought those and I always ate them followed by guilt:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never new that tent set up was going to be so involved. really surprised me. But you'll figure it out you always do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure hope ole Billy Bob doesn't become diabetic like I am.... Anything with raw sugar on it is poison..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gypsy one thing about night driving around here (Del/NJ line at the bridge)is really less traffic, sometime construction but it moves pretty well. Even the toll's are cheaper on the turnpikes after 600pm the morning and evening commute is HELL...

    ReplyDelete
  7. September 16th is my birthday too - and it's a Monday btw. Ooops. I had to check, but I knew we were going to see Squirrel on the 14th and wanted to make sure.

    A sprinkle of sugar isn't bad at all, but you can always use agrave syrup if you want. Natural and better for you, but just a smidge.

    Happy trails my friend. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll coming to Stranton, NY next Thursday. I don't think our paths are going to cross. If we're close to your route, let me know.

    ReplyDelete