Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day

My son and his family enjoyed the baseball game on Friday night.  It was a level below a farm team I believe, but going to the game is the fun part.  A representative from the Hudson Valley SPCA was there with an adoptable elderly black lab that was enjoying all the people going by, the pats on the head and hugs from the kids.  Sandy brought me a brochure from the SPCA, a no-kill shelter since 2008.  

It is so tempting to me except that I'm not ready just yet.  For one thing I have quite a few people I want to visit on the way back and I can't expect every one to have open arms for a dog.  Then I may be having surgery soon after I get back to CA, and while I don't expect to be out of commission for more than a day, I never know.  My grandchildren are mostly in pre-school, kindergarten or grade school, and there isn't anyone who could stay full-time with a dog these days.  I'll know when the time is right, if it ever is.

I had really bad leg cramps last night which may have been attributable to the walk I did.  I guess some people just get them a lot, and it doesn't seem to make any difference when I drink a lot of water, little or no alcoholic beverages, exercise or no exercise, etc.  Some nights are just worse than others.

The rain came down hard this morning but has eased up and the sun is bravely trying to get through the clouds.  I'm not going anywhere today so it doesn't matter to me.

I forgot to say that on our walk yesterday evening I saw about four deer.  The just froze in place and kept an eye on us, but didn't run off until my grandson made too much noise or veered in their direction.  At least I didn't get skunked by the deer on this trip!

9 comments:

  1. Have you tried drinking a cup or so of Tonic Water when you get leg cramps? It has a little quinine in it. Years ago my doc prescribed quinine for my leg cramps, the worst ones were along my shin bones. Usually they start in my toes and feet, but can be anyplace from my hips down. He also said to drink some tonic water if I didn't have any pills. For some crazy reason, it actually works, usually takes just a minute or so after I have had a big drink, the cramps are gone. Quinine is the only thing I have ever take that stops cramps, which I have had for the last 65 years.

    Good luck, safe travels, Judy Douglass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also bananas ~ my brother does a lot of bike riding and if he doesn't eat a banana a day, his legs cramp up:) Just a thought...

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried quinine? I have some tonic with quinine every day and haven't had leg cramps in a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you passed up the chance for a furry friend. Timing is everything, and you resisted an impulse well. It's hard to do some times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading your blog for a couple years but have not posted…I am thinking you might have the same problem I have..potassium on the low side,the daily banana does the job or any food high in potassium ..like kiwis also…they have more than the banana…have a great day... donna…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leg cramps can be the pits. I think I had them worse when I used to power walk. Never could understand that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well my internet cut off just when I went to post a much longer comment than this one will be. Glad you saw the deer. I hope to see some moose but I'm not counting on it. Hope your'll try the quinine for leg cramps and let us know if it works for you. I have them every so often and they are terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dad gum it old gal, I sure do feel for ya with them leg cramps. But I tell ya what, run down to the store an' buy some that quinine water stuff or what ever it is, Give it a try. If'n it works for you, I'll give it a try too....but you gonna be the guinea pig first.

    I'm think'n ya make the right decision on that dawg. For all the reasons you said. You'll know when the time comes. Find ya a old ugly pooch ya just fall head over heels for. That what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have hand cramps, leg cramps, feet cramps. The cramps are caused from my Parkinson's disease. I use Hyland's Leg Cramp pills. This is a homeopathic supplement. They work great! 40 caplets are $3.49 at Walmart. You let the caplets dissolve under your tongue.

    ReplyDelete