Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

In Virginia

I was pretty tired when I arrived at the motel in Virginia at 5:30 pm.  Traffic wasn't easy today, and though I got off to a decent start about 10:30 this morning, it seems the scenic byways are about as crowded as I-95.  I'd still take the byways - the traffic on 95 was too fast for me and I was only on it for a short while.

I think I left off when we arrived in Philly on Monday.  Ara drove us around the Center City so that we could get an idea how it is laid out and what there is to see.  Then we parked the car and walked downtown which turned out to be a problem for me because walking in Birkenstocks on lots of brick sidewalks is not easy on the legs.  I'm not sure how many miles we racked up, but it was a few.

Ara had to go to work for a few hours, so she left Stephanie and me on our own.  We both wanted to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, so that was one of our priorities for that day.  (Click on a picture to enlarge it.)




These are some of the rooms in Independence Hall.  Unfortunately I didn't write notes when the Park Svc. guide was speaking, so the only one I'm absolutely sure about is the picture with the round tables.  There are 13 of these, each holding a delegation from the 13 original colonies.  I believe the previous two photos show rooms where the actual documents - Articles of Confederation, Constitution, and Declaration of Independence were hammered out.




Next are some pictures taken from the courtyard.  A lightning rod can be seen in the 3rd picture, supposedly placed there by Benjamin Franklin.




The next three are rooms in a building next to Independence Hall.  The first was used by the House of Representatives, and the second and third were for the Senate.


 


We did a lot more walking around the area and then headed back to Ara's neighborhood.   Waiting for her at an outdoor table just a few doors from where she lives, I took this picture of the street scene and it is just about my favorite.  After a beer or two at this cafe, we bought a huge Philly Cheesesteak and split it up between 4 of us!  That's how big it was, and delicious.  Ara, Hannah, Stephanie and I were able to fill up on one big sandwich.  Probably the giant slice of pizza each of us ate for lunch was affecting our appetites as well.



I loved every minute I spent in Philadelphia - even the noise and all the people, the traffic, the walking, etc.  It is a beautiful city and friendly as well - it doesn't have a huge city feel like Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago etc. might have.  I know I've always said I prefer the countryside and I do, but I got the feeling "I could live here" while I was there.  Of course I could have lived there when I was in my 20's, and would almost certainly not do it now.  

I'll cover the events from Tuesday when I post tomorrow.  If I can post tomorrow, as I will be in the Shenandoah and may not be able to get wifi. 

10 comments:

  1. What a lot of history you saw - great photos. I'm glad you enjoyed the city so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I've been there, but just can't remember when. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the taste of history. I lived in western PA the first half of my life but never got to Philly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like lots of fun in Philly for you. Do you have any riders now?? I am SO sorry you are right in our farm's backyard and I am not there to see you. Darn!! We are two weeks behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding, Gypsy... loved the pictures. what fun and glad to hear you're enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do'n it right girl see'n all that good stuff an' all. I'm think'n I would have somehow ringed that big bell. I'm all for liberty ya know.
    I too like the street scene.
    Be extra careful out there on the hiways an' biways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Philly is a great place full of history and you seemed to see lots of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did what we did when we were there. You have more info then we got. :-)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dam Gypsy you make me feel bad live in this area all my life, born about 8 blocks from that Bell when it was a great city. Now I have all the pictures to look at. Thank You.

    LOL Ps really only lived in the city till I was 2 then off to South Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I have to agree that last pic' is a beaut. :)

    And a Philly cheesesteak? ::drool::

    My first husband's Dad was from Philly. He went to La Salle and whenever he went home he would bring us back deconstructed *Italian* type subs, with the rolls and dressing. Those things SUSTAINED me through my son's pregnancy. Crave. I just wish, and told him, that he could have managed a Philly sub or two.

    I don't know where you are in VA, but keep in touch, okay?

    Hugs and love! JG

    ReplyDelete