Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 9, 2013

School days

School started today here in New York.  For my youngest grandson it is his first day of (all-day) kindergarten and he was adamant he was not going to school today.  Both his mom and dad planned to accompany him for the one-hour introductory class, and I guess they talked him into it.  He even got to ride the school bus to check it out - tomorrow he begins full days and bus to and from school.

After the quick school morning Justin and his parents went out for lunch and invited me to go along to Cracker Barrel.  Even though it was lunch time I decided to have breakfast which came with a small bowl of grits.  I can see that anyone in a different part of the country besides the southeast would be wary of grits.  These were terrible and actually were the consistency of wallpaper paste.  But they were not real grits - just a northern attempt to mimic good southern food.  I plan to eat lots of grits when I'm traveling through the southeast later on this month.

On the way to the restaurant and just a block or two from home I had to stop to let some very small deer cross the road.  The first two walked slowly across having all the time in the world.  The third, which still had its spots, dallied to taste the vegetation at the edge of the road and then slowly ambled across.  It's too bad I didn't have my camera.

I had my car serviced today which wasn't very expensive, but of course they do their 55 point check or something like that and found some very expensive things that need to be done when I get back to CA.  I also asked about pulling a small lightweight trailer with my Highlander.  The service tech gave me all the info, but considering the hitch, tow package, etc. that I would have to get, I don't think it would be worth it.  If I want to tow I need to get a pickup truck or an SUV that is already equipped for it.  I may seriously reconsider modifying the inside of my vehicle so that I can sleep in it in bad weather though.  I should have done that in the first place but could never make up my mind.

Granddaughter Ara is coming up on the train Saturday for the birthday party, and we will drive back to Philly in my car.  She will drive and I'll maybe close my eyes!  (The traffic is horrendous, not her driving).  We will celebrate her Papa's birthday (my ex) on the 17th and then I may go into Philadelphia for a day to see the Liberty Bell; then I'm heading south and eventually west.  When I get back to CA I will think about what I want to be when I grow up!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE your last line! I'm emailing you a picture of the perfect car/tent. You just need a car with a hatch back or some sort of back door for it to hook on to. I think you'd love it. Looking forward to your next adventures. Sorry about Eleanor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim loves his grits. But he even likes the ones he gets at Cracker Barrel. Hope the full day of kindergarten goes smoothly tomorrow. But I bet riding the school bus was so exciting that he'll be ready to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think grits taste like wallpaper paste no matter where you get them, but then I'm a Midwest girl at heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember our kids saying they were not going to school-so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you can figure out how to make your car a place to sleep comfortable. I would check with your guys in CA. about what it would take to tow. I if it is a tent or aliner it should take more than a tow hitch. While they do cost about $200 or so. If you are talking about something bigger then you will needed breaks. I think it cost me about $425. for everything.
    But you have time until you grow up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. South? Did you say South? As in south from Philly? Hmmmm....seems like you might land in Virginia. heehee

    That is funny about Cracker Barrel being that it is actually a restaurant that was started in the South. They are the equivalent of McDonald's tho' now. Their food used to be pretty good - even the grits and I AM southern. But we stopped going years ago because too much of the food was processed/packaged/canned and it wasn't as good as it used to be. Ah well. I'll keep making my biscuits and gravy at home. :D

    Have a wonderful time with Ara. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete