Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Shenandoah & Skyline Parkway

I'm sort of skipping back and forth here, and I hope you will stay with me.  I wrote about Philly, driving over to Gettysburg and then south to Front Royal, VA, so now I will tell you that Skyline Drive is a gorgeous route.  A little over 100 miles at 35 mph.  Don't scoff!  As I was driving I got very comfortable with going at a slower pace and being able to see things.  We drive so fast to get from one place to another, and what do we do with all that time saved?  Spend it looking at our hands holding some kind of intelligent phone device, or playing games on a computer or iPad, or doing Google searches until we could probably get at least a Master's degree in "Searching for Info" if we could find a school that gave out such a degree.

These pictures were all taken along my first day on Skyline Drive.  The first two are of the Shenandoah Valley.  (Please click on a picture to enlarge it.)



Of course there must be a deer picture in any rural setting.

 

The next set of photos are all taken on Skyline and are of a Gap, Overlook, Holow, etc.  The names are fascinating, i.e., Hogwallow Gap!



















I spent the night at Lewis Mtn Campground, a great place for tenters.  There was a young woman on one side of me who was so interesting to talk to, and we sat for quite a while just enjoying conversation.  An older couple stayed on the other side, and they too were so friendly.  The same was true with quite a few of the other folks I met there.  When I left the next morning I wondered if I should have stayed another night, but then I ran into dense fog the rest of Skyline and into the Blue Ridge Parkway following it.  

I got off at an exit for Roanoke and found a motel - I actually stopped at one and immediately felt it was not a good place for me, and then on the other side of the highway I saw the one I finally stopped at.  I was a little unsure at first, but as soon as I talked to the woman who ran the place I was put at ease.  She showed me the room and everything in it, wanting me to check it out before renting it. It was a lovely room, very clean and comfortable and with a large bathroom, microwave, fridge, etc.  I was content to just chill out after the harrowing drive in the fog.

Next morning I was hoping it would be sunny and clear, but nearly all of the Blue Ridge Parkway was fogged in and then rained pretty steadily, so no pictures of the most scenic part - in North Carolina.  I did take some, however, and will post them tomorrow.

I'm in my old stomping grounds now and think it's time I go get something to eat.  Even though there is a microwave and fridge here, I don't feel like fixing anything like that, especially with a Steak & Seafood restaurant next door!

(Just got back from the restaurant where I had a delicious dinner of broiled red trout and baked potato.  I'm feeling pretty good right now.) 



  

8 comments:

  1. 1. I'd love to live in a place called Hogwallow Gap.

    2. It's a Smart Phone, not an Intelligent Phone Device - LOL!!! (And I really did Laugh Out Loud)

    3. Doesn't it just make much more sense to go 35 mph when you are traveling through beautiful scenery? I think so.

    4. Fish restaurant right next door? Absolutely!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures that you did post. Brings back memories. Not long after we got married, we drove down to see my relatives that live in Roenoke and went back north on the skyline drive and the blue ridge parkway. A long slow drive but well worth it. The scenery was and I am sure, still is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are beautiful. Nice slow drive is best.
    I'm heading out early in the morning.
    Keep safe and enjoy all you see. Wait out the fog so you can enjoy the drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your driving slow and enjoying! such beautiful country. I've driven that at least three times and once was so foggy, couldn't see anything.

    But the other times were partial then cleared ...

    eating out? Gypsy? yay ... great pictures too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad you couldn't hang out at Lewis until the fog lifted. I love those slow speeds too. It takes me forever since I stop at every overlook and even do the trails if they are short.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures are a great reminder of how much we always enjoyed the skyline drive while we lived on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we lived in VA that was always one of my favorite drives especially in the fall. We only drove 40 and 45 going down through Idaho and it was fantastic. Especially since there wasn't much traffic behind us to worry about. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete