Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Attempted visit to Eleanor's Cottage

I decided this would be a good day to visit the Eleanor Roosevelt cottage.  I shoulda taken the roads I knew and I woulda taken them, but even knowing I coulda stayed in familiar territory I decided to stray on some roads I've never been on before.  I drove all around and ended up on streets in Poughkeepsie that I didn't know, but eventually made it to the grounds of the Cottage.   What I didn't count on was the sequester, and I discovered they were only open on Tuesday and Thursday.  I doubt I'll go back tomorrow so I snapped a couple of pictures and let it go until another year.



On the way back I saw a sign to Hidden Cove Park and knew it would be on the Hudson River, so I turned in.  What a beautiful place, with picnic tables, grills, a building with a very long porch facing the river and lots of Adirondack chairs to sit in.  The day was perfect - a bit cool in the shade and perfect in the sunshine.  I watched the river for a while and saw a tugboat pushing a barge past.









To get to my car I had to walk back through this narrow tunnel under a railroad bridge.  



When I got back to the house I sat out on the driveway with Sandy's parents (who are here for a few days) enjoying a beautiful day, a cloudless blue sky and a slight breeze.

A note on the quinine (tonic water) - I had a bit of tonic with ginger ale last night and didn't have any leg cramps, but it will take more than one night to convince me.  In the meantime I am going to get Hyland's pills as a backup.  I looked at the labels and found that the tonic as well as the ginger ale now contain high fructose corn syrup.  I don't think there is any need for the extra sweetener in the ginger ale, but I'm not surprised that it is added to just about everything that isn't organic. 


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your lovely photos! What a beautiful day it was out.. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea that is a pretty place to see up on the Hudson but god the traffic. And it seems everything you eat these days has that s**^t in it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That High fructose GMO corn syrup makes me so mad. They stick it in everything as a way to use the GMO corn. Really sorry you didn't get to Eleanor's cottage I was hoping to go along after seeing Campobello.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In that second river picture, are there two bridges there? Looks like there are two different styles of bridges side by side. If not, it must be an unusual type of construction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that high fructose crap drives me insane.

    Those pictures look so familiar. I love upper state New York... gorgeous stuff.

    Do not remember Tea with Eleanor though... sure wish I had known about it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures. You had a nice day even if you did go little off the right road. Sitting at the water front is always so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With Parkinson's disease the leg cramps are sometimes very severe so some nights I have to take several Hyland's Leg Cramp pills. I place the pills under my tongue so they can dissolve. I'm so happy the pills are homeopathic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re: sequester foolishness. I guess we can take nothing for granted any more - must always call ahead to see if/when sites will be open.

    ReplyDelete