Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First I'd like to respond to and thank everyone who has made suggestions for leg cramp remedies.  Most of them I've tried - magnesium (I take 1 each evening); making sure I stay hydrated; potassium (I eat a banana every day); and quinine.  The last time I was in NY I tried tonic water (quinine) but it tastes so horrible that I mixed it with V-8 juice, and I still couldn't stand it.  Also, I didn't see any relief for the cramps when I took it.

But just to make sure, I bought a bottle of tonic water today and put about an ounce in a glass with some ginger ale - drank it down as quickly as I could.  It doesn't taste good, but the ginger ale did make it tolerable, so I'm going to give it another try.  No one has ever said how much tonic water is enough when you are trying to ease leg cramps, so maybe I'll have another ounce before bedtime with ginger ale.  I don't think I could swallow much more than that at a time.  I'll let you know if it works.  Also, PatB suggested Hyland's Leg Cramp Pills, available at Walmart.  I will get a bottle of those pills the next time I'm in a Walmart and keep them on hand.

I also want to repeat that I wasn't prescribed lipitor for cholesterol, but to prevent plaque from breaking off the artery walls and possibly causing a stroke.  Not much of a choice to live in misery while trying to prevent another misery.

A very young deer showed up in the back yard this afternoon.  I'm not sure where his mama was, but she mut have called him back because after walking around the yard for a while he bolted towards the woods as if he'd been summoned.







We have had rain off and on for the past several days, and it's not like I am complaining about it considering the lush green grass and foliage.  I'd like to see a few places I haven't yet been to and will just wait for a nice day with no rain in the forecast.  I have to remember to get an oil change before it's time to start out for the west.

I want to empty out my car and try to consolidate bags and boxes to maybe get a bit more room.  If my granddaughter comes up from Philly for the birthday party, she and I will drive back together - I will let her drive and I will view the scenery - so I need to clear out the front passenger seat.  The boys will be thrilled if I start getting everything out of the cargo space and they can look it over to their heart's content.  Oh, the questions I will have to answer!

My daughter-in-law showed me how to use their first Kindle which they have since replaced with newer models.  I'm not sold completely - it's nice, but I still prefer holding a book.  I have the typeface enlarged so I'm constantly having to "turn the page".  I just wish all paper books were available in large print.  

I might add that I'm glad I grew up in an age of little technology for the average person.  We had a radio and my dad bought a big radio/record player as soon as they could afford it.  I always remember a telephone, but on a party line in the early years.  I guess you deal with whatever you have, and my grandchildren feel perfectly comfortable with touch screens, smart phones they can play games on, iPads, iPods, notebooks, etc.  And I'm certainly happy enough with what I have now.

7 comments:

  1. You might want to up your magnesium intake. I take 3 165 mg capsules daily. It helps with sleep as well. I use magnesium citrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear by Hyland's leg cramp pills from Walmart. I carry some in my purse and keep some in the rig. I tried the magnesium and potassium and all that stuff and nothing worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't drink tonic water for leg cramps, I drink it because I love the taste. Don't know why, but I prefer it above anything else except maybe my morning coffee. I do keep a bottle of those leg cramp pills on hand for when my lower back starts acting up from an old injury and makes my legs jerk at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what are the places you're hoping to see while there?

    Nothing stays the same, and that includes technology. I just try to muddle through it all. I like most of it, and wouldn't want to go back to the old days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Kindle White Paper. I was able to enlarge that print and also have to turn the page often. But at least I am not straining to read. As for iPods, pad all that stuff not interested. I have enough trouble figuring out what I need to really have.

    Love the little deer shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can probably find the Hylands pills at Nature's Pantry in Fishkill or Newburgh... Get Mike to take Justin with you so he can enjoy the organic peanut butter cups with his namesake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you are trying out all the things to see if you can get rid of those leg cramps. We've had rain rain rain too. But today has been lovely. Hope you got a nice day as well.

    ReplyDelete