Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, August 16, 2013

Aug 16, 2013, Itasca State Park

Judy and I had a wonderful visit to Itasca State Park, no doubt the biggest and best of Minnesota's State Parks.  It features the headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi River!




We spent some time viewing all the exhibits at the Visitors Centers (2 of them) and of course, Judy insisted I dip my feet into the exact spot of the headwaters of the Mississippi.  Now I need to take a dip in the river where it flows into the Gulf of Mexico!

Later in the day as we were driving to a local place to have dinner, we spotted a large group of trumpeter swans, and it's difficult to select just a few pictures.  The swans let us take lots of photos and then they took off looking like the ships in the Spanish Armada heading out to sea!






On the way to dinner we passed the osprey nest, and this time mama was on guard duty!

I am so thankful to Judy for her hospitality and for arranging my stay in the bunkhouse on the Refuge.  It was so nice to not have to worry about setting up a tent, and the facilities were better than a motel.  I really needed more than a one-night stop, and the two days I spent here have been so energizing.  Judy and Emma are so welcoming and I am grateful for being able to count Judy as a friend.


9 comments:

  1. So excited that you got to meet up with Judy and Emma. I think it did you a world of good to have someone to visit with who understands about traveling solo. And you got to explore such a neat area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my pleasure to give you a little break from the road. I'm always proud and happy to show off the areas I am volunteering in. It was great to have someone to share the joys of Itasca with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun ~ beautiful place and nice company ... good stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great time you both had! Made me smile and I've not met either one of you! (I'm over here from Judy's blog). Looks like you are having a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes a few years back when we were still travelling in the Motor Home we had a great overnight visit with Judy and Emma.

    Looks like you two had a great time.

    Take Care
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw what a happy happy post. So glad to see you having such a terrific time and with Judy, who was such a good hostess. I hope the rest of your trip is just as wonderful. Hope to see you down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how long it will take your toe jam to reach the Gulf? Just kidding. But, how long would it take for that water you are standing in to reach the gulf?

    ReplyDelete
  8. As time has passed, I've found that a two-day stay at least every other stop is almost mandatory. It is so nice to know that when you wake up in the morning, there is no packing up to be done that day, and you can relax everything for at least 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete