Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What a day!

I was having a nice leisurely morning, after an unsettling night, and decided to take a long, slow shower.  I had just applied a big blob of shampoo and had my hair good and soapy when the water went off.  Too late I remembered receiving a notice about 3 days ago about a water shut-off so they could fix a main.  What do I do now.

I knew the water might not be back on for a couple of hours so I grabbed the towel and tried to blot the shampoo out of my hair.  It felt sticky, so I went to the kitchen, where the only water supply was in the fridge.  I poured a glass of water from the Brita and tried to warm it in the microwave, but it was taking too long and I'm not the most patient person in the world, so I just leaned over the bathroom sink with a glass of cold water and started pouring it.   Knowing I didn't have much water on hand, and still had to brush my teeth, I just made "do" with one glass of cold, cold water on my head.  It really wasn't all that bad, but I'm looking forward to a long, hot shower tomorrow.  Also I made an appointment to get my hair shaped up - I've been growing it out and it is totally unmanageable by now, so I'll see if the hairdresser can make me look presentable to go to NY.

I took another look at the card from the vet that enclosed a snip of Lady's fur, and realized there is also a paw print on a white background, plus a beautiful card with the Rainbow Bridge story on it.  I've never been able to read it all the way through - I can't get past a few lines without crying, and that was even before Lady left on her last journey.   I'll have Smoky and Lady waiting for me, and hopefully one more.

Last night I had the usual trouble sleeping soundly when I woke straight up with a sound of something falling.  I grabbed my car keys which I keep by my bed (when I remember to bring them with me) thinking I can hit the "panic button" if needed.  I looked throughout all the rooms and couldn't find anything out of place.  This morning I saw what had fallen - my "Blue Star Mother's Flag" that is hanging on the front door by one of those suction cups that never stay put.  I think when I open and close the screen it brushes against the flag and probably works the suction cup loose.



This is the blue star flag, and many of you will know it indicates a loved one serving a wartime or combat deployment.  I can't wait to be able to take it down.  The number of stars indicate the number of family members who are deployed, and in WW II it was common for flags to contain several stars.  You can imagine what the gold star stands for if it appears on the flag.

The flag discussion started out to be about my uneasy night.  I think if I'm still able to handle it a year from now, I will look for another dog to love.  Right now I need a year and a trip or two just having to deal with my own needs.

9 comments:

  1. Completely understandable, Gypsy.
    You need time to recuperate; to come to grips with things. Meanwhile, your trip to NY will be easier on you without a pet to be concerned about.

    I know it wasn't funny at the time, but I can just see you with the soapy hair and the glass of cold water. Hold your breath and get it over with, huh?

    Take care. You are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might want to get a 5L bottle of water to keep under the sink just in case...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shower part was a little hard for me to relate too, since I do not need shampoo anymore:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy hats off to you for dealing so well with the shampoo in the hair problem. That would drive me nuts!

    I too think you are very wise to have a year on your own to see what you want to do. It is a lot easier to travel without another to be concerned about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, but I did get a chuckle out of the first part of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Chuck & Anneke, I stopped using shampoo awhile back as well. Just good old soap seems to work just as well. Sure glad we got the Pheebs when we did. She has been such a source of love, joy & entertainment. She picks my spirits up every day. Guess you will know when it's time for a new best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get you another Lab Gypsy,you will have a loyal friend for the rest of your days, don't know what Donna and I would do without the Riggster. Glad you got the shampoo out of your hair, they used to shut the water off all the time when I was in the Navy on carriers. needed it to laun ch planes. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yuk, I hate to have soap in my hair, it feels funny all day. I fully agree, wait a year before looking for another companion. My daughter is in the same position after having to put her black Lab down, "Chili", a year ago. After a ski trip in January she is finally going to start looking for an adoptable dog again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember being in the same situation in a campground in the Yukon. All soaped up and no water in the shower. A lady in the bathroom emptied the fake flowers out of a vase and used it to get water from the sink to pour over me! Very embarrassing in public. :)

    ReplyDelete