Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, October 5, 2012

Temporary halt to anonymous comments

After having to delete more than 75 spam comments yesterday, and waking up this morning to 19 more in my mailbox, I've decided to not accept anonymous comments.  I regret the inconvenience this may cause the readers of this blog, but I don't know what else to do about it.  I'm hoping to open it up again within a few days so that anyone can comment, but I worry that the same thing will happen again.  Each and every spam comment was close to being the same - advertising one type of pill or another, and they looked like they could have been from the same sender.

For every comment I get, an email comes to my aol mailbox.  I marked all these comments as spam, and I don't know why aol continued to send more to my inbox.  Blogger catches them but I eventually have to go in and delete them.   I've about had it with this crap.

Sorry about this, and I hope you will understand that I know of no other way to handle it.

5 comments:

  1. WOW Gypsy, I don't blame you a bit. No one really has to make an anonymous comment since they can choose name/url and just put their name in. Not sure I'd ever open it back up. 75 spams. I might quit blogging if that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy! I rarely get any more than a couple a week, and then can go for a long spell with nothing at all.
    You're just one of the popular girls is all. I used to wonder what life was like for those popular girls back in High School.
    Well, now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Gypsy. I have AOL mail. For awhile a few weeks ago, every time I got online I had a huge list of Spams. All of the addresses started with a number--I think 5 digits?--and the word "office". Try as I would, I couldn't find a way to block them. Don't know why (sh!!)they seem to stopped. There were lines in them that had to do with blue pills, etc.

    Meanwhile, readers who want to comment don't have to be anonymous. Please just keep on doing what you do. You are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame you, in fact I think you should not open it up gain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gypsy, I had to go to "Anonymous Comments NOT Allowed", too. It was just getting to be too much. That sure stopped them in their tracks.

    Happy Blogging, and Happy Trails, Penny

    ReplyDelete