Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, October 15, 2012

Hey, I think I'll make it!

Actually I never had a doubt I'd make it, but didn't realize it would take so long.  I haven't had depression like that before, and there are other issues in my life right now that have me at loose ends.  I just realized I actually grabbed a bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towels, and cleaned my sliding door.  Then I actually washed all the kitchen windows along the front porch.  That must mean something - either I'm really distressed or else I'm alive again.  Hope it's the latter.

Thanks to all who have written me to check that I'm still among the living and ok.  I truly appreciate it.

In today's mail was a card from the vet who handled Lady's last journey.  Inside was a small yellow ribbon that tied together a snip of Lady's fur.  I think I will get a small round frame and mount it, and if it's a good enough job I will hang it on the wall.

I had applied for a volunteer job in North Carolina that would run from Dec through March.  I really had hoped to get the position, but this is the 10th workday since they received my application, and it is now after-hours in the eastern time zone, I guess I can write it off.  I was reconciled to whatever the outcome, but I really would have liked that location.  I also have sent an application to a national park in Minnesota and hope to hear from them within the next two weeks - same thing though, I won't cry if I don't get it.

I am setting off for New York about the 10th of November and will be there for Thanksgiving.  Although I've looked at all the maps I won't bother with details of my route until the time comes to leave.  I know from experience that the weather will play the major role in deciding how I'll get there.  It would have been convenient to leave NY for North Carolina the end of November, but it will be just as convenient to drive back to CA.  I'll be returning east next year, at least for my grandson's birthday in September.

This trip I will try something new in the way of phone connections - I will take my little Verizon phone base which I can plug in at the motel and use the land phone.  I know I should get my hearing tested but couldn't afford the hearing device I probably need, but I can barely understand a word said on a cell phone.  It's almost worthless to me, and I'm glad it's a trac fone that I can toss when the days of service or minutes run out.

I think I should have just gone for the Jitterbug which supposedly is easier to hear, but I was put off by the fact that the Jitterbug added a camera to its supposedly simplistic phone.  If it now has a camera and texting, it no doubt has many of the bells and whistles that are on most cell phones.  I just don't need all that.  I'm tempted to just do away with a cell altogether although traveling long distances alone makes me wonder about giving up on a phone completely.  I'm hoping to drive across US 50 through Nevada on this trip, and I would wager I couldn't get a signal in many parts of that route.

I've taken a few pictures with my new camera but am not satisfied with the results.  To be fair, I haven't adjusted any settings nor do I know much about any of the features - just how to turn it on and off and click a photo.  In my recent nearly-catatonic state I haven't cared enough to try to figure it out.  Here is a photo Donald took with the camera shortly after I got it.  It sure doesn't make me look any better or any younger!

After being off line for a while I don't want to scare anyone away with a longer post.  Be back when I'm back.

I can feel my blood pressure rising with trying to deal with Blogger. 

10 comments:

  1. Well, welcome back! If I were in charge in NC, I would have jumped at the chance to hire you. It's great that your usual upbeat attitude has won out once again.
    Look forward to knowing what's going on with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you didn't get the work campling job you wanted, but maybe something better will turn up. Glad you are back blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see this post and also to read your comment today. Thanks for dropping by.

    Very thoughtful and considerate of the vet to send that to you.

    I hope you don't mean Minnesota from December-March. I wouldn't give up on NC. You never know what might be going on there to delay them. But then I know nothing about work camping so pay no attention to me.

    I guess medicare doesn't help with hearing things. That's too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depression is such a horrible disease. Jim has trouble fighting it off some days but he's been doing better lately. Glad to hear you're on your way back. There will be a workamping position come along that will be perfect for you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see a post from you again. I don't know what route you are taking to NY but if you are close to Indiana let me know. Sure would love to meet you somewhere, and maybe have lunch. I sure hope you get a workkamping job soon. That will surely lift your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear from you & glad you are feeling better. Great to be making plans for more travel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do understand about that depression stuff. Like you, I too have my difficult days. It's not a topic some will admit to or write about so once again, thanks for being honest with your feelings. You will be heading east about the time we should be heading west except we may already be in Arizona by the time you leave. I'm not a cell phone person either but I have been forcing myself to get in the habit of carrying one just in case I should ever have to use it in case of an emergency or vehicle break down or something. I think that alone makes it well worthwhile for anyone to carry a phone & especially while traveling.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It sure doesn't make me look any better or any younger!"

    Maybe not - I can't tell - but look how happy you look! ;->

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad yer on the mend .., you know I relate .., complete bummer when that mess hits ... I'm heading to Yosemite ... Wish you could come on over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are feeling better. Try to get out in the sun for a bit. It usually helps.

    ReplyDelete