Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Reminders

I received several reminders today - the first being about my appointment with the eye surgeon at 8:20 a.m. on Thursday. What in the world time will I have to get up in order to be there on time! It's about a 30 minute trip in traffic, but because I was raised to be on time I always manage to arrive early, so I will no doubt leave home at 7:30. I have to walk the dog, shower, dry my hair, and dress - good heavens, I will probably awaken at 5 am and not be able to go back to sleep.

I'm really counting on this appointment, although I know in my heart there will be no new earth shattering news, and I will probably not be able to leave here the end of March. Maybe the end of April?

The second reminder was taped to my door, to notify me that my lease is up. I can continue month to month with an extra $100/month fee, or go to a 7-16 month lease term with a $10 a month increase in rent, or I can pack up my things in storage and move someplace until I can travel. I don't think in my present condition I could pack this place up, find a storage unit, and move out by the end of March. So I will probably stay for another month. I certainly don't want to live in my camper for a month, although I could do it. I could easily do it if I was on an extended trip.

I have decided to sell my truck and camper, as a package if possible, but separately if necessary. I made a giant mistake, but I don't like to dwell on mistakes so I will chalk it up to a lesson learned and try to fix things. I'm intending to buy another Jeep Grand Cherokee or equivalent vehicle, and load up my cooler, camp stove, and tent for the camping adventures I choose. I still hope to travel cross country and spend half the year in the east and half in the west.

The big question in my mind now is whether to try to sell it here, or to drive it to New York in the spring and sell it there. My main concern is whether I can register a relacement vehicle in South Dakota since I won't be a full time RVer, at least until I can decide where I will make my residence permanent. I know my insurance company will no longer continue to carry me, as they only insure residents of SD or full time RVers. Possibly I can find a different insurance company, but it will take some research.

This is what I should have done when I sold my 5th wheel, but I just wasn't ready to let go of my truck yet. I love that truck and will surely cry when somebody else drives it away.

7 comments:

  1. That's how I felt about our 5thWheel when we sold it together with the truck. I got over it though and I am sure you will too in time. Good luck with your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give your camper another chance. I don't see how you could be better off in a tent. Once you are feeling better, things will look better. Give it some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of decisions to be making in your compromised medical state. I don't have any advice, but do wonder if you should give Sir Lance another try. You won't be falling down with the propane tank every time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe I'll ever again be able to cope with all the things there are to do when occupying the camper. The water heater is activated from outside. The generator is activated outside. The propane tank is not even in the equation. The emptying of the waste tanks is a bit more time-consuming than with the 5th wheel.

    In its plus column is the fact that the cabinetry is so well made and if all the doors and drawers are shut correctly, there is almost no likelihood of them coming open on the road.

    My problem is with the systems, and it is genuine. And the only reason I mention a tent is not that I will be living in one on the road - maybe once in a while if I want to - but because I like to go camping with my kids once in a while and love sleeping on the ground in a tent (with a good air mattress under me).

    There is nothing like being in the middle of a peaceful forest and crawling into a warm sleeping bag. Conversely, there's nothing like having to get out of that warm bag to go pee in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definately some major decisions in your future & none of them real easy. You may have to do some prioritising to get those decisions knocked off in a logical sequence to arrive at a satisfactory & lasting conclusion. The ball is in your court Gypsy & the game is ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always nice to make up one's mind. Kind of a stress releaser. Hope you can sell right away and get what you really want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in the same boat. Really going to miss my truck! I have 50 gal extra fuel tank in the bed, so a slide in camper is not an option. I think I am really ready to give up the RV. I may travel, but in a car,I am looking at Ford Escape.

    ReplyDelete